Chick with eye blister?? Pics

arllcountrygirl

lavender nutt
11 Years
Sep 27, 2008
Delight, Arkansas
My Coop
My Coop
This is a barred rock chick that I hatched out. It got this nasty looking blister above its eye. Well I took a needle and drained it. No problem the clear liquid shot out and it deflated, but it slowly filled back up. Anyone know what it is and what I can do about it?

16353_eye.jpg

16353_eye1.jpg

16353_eye2.jpg

i've never seen anything like that. looks kind of painful though. i'm surprised the liquid seems clear rather than an ifected yellow color. i really have no idea. hope someone here can help you and the little one

Yea, it does look painful but doesn't appear to affect the chick. I just don't want to have to constantly drain it. The one time I drained it , the needle barely got close to it and it started squirting a thin line of clear liquid out of it.
hmm.png

That's really bizarre, did the liquid have an odor? Maybe he has an infection in his mouth? I would treat it as a generic infectionand start him on a course of terramycin.

Last edited:
That is really odd. It looks like it could be pox but I've never heard of a pox that is soft enough to actually pop. I can't say I've tried to pop one, though.
Have you checked the rest of its body to see if it has any more blisters?

It just looks like a little cyst to me. I had a Frizzle chick that hatched with one on its neck like that and it went away eventually.

I would just leave it alone as long as it doesn't look infected or bother the chick. You can drain it if you want, but sometimes those things heal better on their own.

Back
Top Bottom