Chick with Slipped Tendon! I Need Advice!

warmnfluffy

In the Brooder
Oct 25, 2020
This is my first chick I've had with a slipped tendon, really any foot injury at all. I noticed she wasn't putting any weight on her left leg last night and after researching vigorously came to the conclusion she had perosis. I followed instruction and was able to slip the tendon back in place after having to massage a while (thank god!). I made a sock sling for her as well but it may have been too small because she got out of it a couple of times in the night. I also tried to wrap her tendon in place but didn't have any vet wrap and had to use masking tape instead and is looser than I would like. The morning of, I found her out of the sock sling and in the box I put around it, standing in it and peeping. I know typically you should leave them in the sling for around 5 days before putting them back on their feet, but I want to make a better sling before doing that, so I put her back in the brooder with her friends. Is it ok that she's on her feet right now with the wrapped leg? She's putting some weight on the leg but also hobbling along when she needs to walk. Should I make a new sling right away or should I let her walk a little and see how she does? All advice is welcome, thank you!

Basic Info:
around 2 weeks of age
previously very healthy and growing strong
has access to medicated food but only regular water (as of now)
4 other buddies with no issues
adequate shavings in brooder
slipped tendon on left leg slightly swollen

Here are some various designs and a video for chicken slings:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Slippedtendons are very hard to successfully treat. Many chicks do better trying to get around on their own to learn to get food and water, while some eventually have to be put down.

This thread about a successful of treating a peachick thread starting at post 12 after trying aome other unsuccessful methods:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/page-2

Last edited:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/versions-of-chick-chairs-please.1166308/

Slippedtendons are very hard to successfully treat. Many chicks do better trying to get around on their own to learn to get food and water, while some eventually have to be put down.

This thread about a successful of treating a peachick thread starting at post 12 after trying aome other unsuccessful methods:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/peachick-with-slipped-tendon.1092979/page-2
Thank you for the info hopefully she will be able to get better.

Im having mine in the same situation for 3 days now, not in a sling as i constantly carrying her ;)) but put cream on and tape etc, seems very happy and strong but hates it, wanna go .... swelling went down, blue colour disappeared, but we still have to see if she/he can use it... hope so....i also not at all sure if popping back her leg happened, we were super worried to push it too much... anyone could tell me what happens if in the end we did not click back the leg but wrapped it anyway for 5 days? Sorry if its a stupid question....

Bori
Im having mine in the same situation for 3 days now, not in a sling as i constantly carrying her ;)) but put cream on and tape etc, seems very happy and strong but hates it, wanna go .... swelling went down, blue colour disappeared, but we still have to see if she/he can use it... hope so....i also not at all sure if popping back her leg happened, we were super worried to push it too much... anyone could tell me what happens if in the end we did not click back the leg but wrapped it anyway for 5 days? Sorry if its a stupid question....​

Quote Reply

This is my first chick I've had with a slipped tendon, really any foot injury at all. I noticed she wasn't putting any weight on her left leg last night and after researching vigorously came to the conclusion she had perosis. I followed instruction and was able to slip the tendon back in place after having to massage a while (thank god!). I made a sock sling for her as well but it may have been too small because she got out of it a couple of times in the night. I also tried to wrap her tendon in place but didn't have any vet wrap and had to use masking tape instead and is looser than I would like. The morning of, I found her out of the sock sling and in the box I put around it, standing in it and peeping. I know typically you should leave them in the sling for around 5 days before putting them back on their feet, but I want to make a better sling before doing that, so I put her back in the brooder with her friends. Is it ok that she's on her feet right now with the wrapped leg? She's putting some weight on the leg but also hobbling along when she needs to walk. Should I make a new sling right away or should I let her walk a little and see how she does? All advice is welcome, thank you!

Basic Info:
around 2 weeks of age
previously very healthy and growing strong
has access to medicated food but only regular water (as of now)
4 other buddies with no issues
adequate shavings in brooder
slipped tendon on left leg slightly swollen

Bori

Slipped Tendon

Im having mine in the same situation for 3 days now, not in a sling as i constantly carrying her ;)) but put cream on and tape etc, seems very happy and strong but hates it, wanna go .... swelling went down, blue colour disappeared, but we still have to see if she/he can use it... hope so....i also not at all sure if popping back her leg happened, we were super worried to push it too much... anyone could tell me what happens if in the end we did not click back the leg but wrapped it anyway for 5 days? Sorry if its a stupid question....​

Quote Reply

Bori

Slipped Tendon

Quote Reply
I actually just took off the wrap tonight and found out her tendon had popped back out again :/ but the whole time she was still able to get around pretty well other than having to hop a bit. I am going to try and re-wrap it and make a better sling that she wont wiggle out of hopefully! My guess is if I am unable to fix this problem is that she might just be a hopping chicken the rest of her life but still a happy one (I hope!). I'd love to hear how yours is doing as well.

Hello there! Thanks, we took the wrap off today after 4 days, I wasn’t sure first, she could stand at least but not so much walk, but after an hour she managed and was walking sort of ok, sometimes stepping with one foot onto the other... but looks like it will be fine, definitely much better than it was and it’s good we did not leave the poor thing without the treatment....

Attachments

• AECE2543-ACFD-4068-8723-183AA016175E.jpeg
    AECE2543-ACFD-4068-8723-183AA016175E.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 21
  • 7485C0AE-FB5E-4EFE-94EF-D92F10A59760.jpeg
    7485C0AE-FB5E-4EFE-94EF-D92F10A59760.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 21
Update on slipped tendon baby chick, took a day for him to learn to walk after we took the wrap off, but now he is running, jumping, flying and bullying all the others, definitely a male!!! Chasing others and jumping onto them with his chest!!! hahahah So please no one should give up, slipped tendon CAN BE fixed!!!!!

Attachments

• D6755CE9-8D02-40CD-8EA7-97FEC4D761A2.jpeg
    D6755CE9-8D02-40CD-8EA7-97FEC4D761A2.jpeg
    94.6 KB · Views: 23

Back
Top Bottom