Chick with slipped tendon?

LhickenChicken

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jan 5, 2023
I have an approx ten week old EE pullet. She is displaying some symptoms of slipped tendon. She doesn't want to put weight on her left leg, and doesn't want to eat or drink even though her crop's empty. I force fed her mash and egg yolk yesterday, and also force-watered her but it seemed she didn't drink much. I'm very worried about her. She spends most of her time sitting on her right leg, and can't keep her balance when she's on the roost. Please, help me with Muffin, because she is one of two of my EE pullets.

Have you got any pictures of the leg? Slipped tendon makes the leg and foot twist out or in. Or feel the hock and see if you can feel the tendon on the outside or inside of the hock?

Have you got any pictures of the leg? Slipped tendon makes the leg and foot twist out or in. Or feel the hock and see if you can feel the tendon on the outside or inside of the hock?
I will try to feel the tendon... And I will also take pictures in a bit.

I will try to feel the tendon... And I will also take pictures in a bit.
It is definitely the left leg. The hock is swollen, and it feels like there is something hard jutting out. What does the tendon look like?

Another improvement is that she ate some egg today. I mixed the egg white and yolk together, and force fed her some of it. after a while she ate some on her own.

Slipped tendons usually happen at hatch, but this could be a sprain or tendon injury. Has she always looked normal as she walked? Pictures could help.
She always looked normal when she walked, but in the last week or so, she started complaining she couldn't get on the roost, started sitting for no reason, and balancing with her wing when she walked. I will try for pictures later on. I have to get cracking for evening chores so hopefully I will get a picture then. She is sitting outside with her friend Big Blue who is a cockerel.

I got pictures. After looking at her leg, the left leg is inflamed. I don't exactly know what is causing the inflammation, but here are some pictures.
Bad leg
IMG_0872.JPG
Good leg
IMG_0873.JPG
Good leg standing
IMG_0876.JPG
Bad leg standing
IMG_0884.JPG

I got pictures. After looking at her leg, the left leg is inflamed. I don't exactly know what is causing the inflammation, but here are some pictures.
Bad leg
View attachment 3584269
Good leg
View attachment 3584272
Good leg standing
View attachment 3584275
Bad leg standing
View attachment 3584276
Do the pictures help? Another update, she can get around but stumble and limp for a few minutes before sitting down. She can hobble over to the mash containers now, and the feeder, and her favorite cockerel Big Buff, is tidbitting for her and showing her where to eat and drink and rest, and making sure no one steps on her. I'm keeping Big Buff. She's in good chicken hands, but I want her to be able to walk properly so she doesn't have a buff cockerel with feathered legs strutting alongside her everywhere. Much as it is a comical sight, she is in pain. She cheeps very loudly sometimes even though she is with her friends.

Do the pictures help? Another update, she can get around but stumble and limp for a few minutes before sitting down. She can hobble over to the mash containers now, and the feeder, and her favorite cockerel Big Buff, is tidbitting for her and showing her where to eat and drink and rest, and making sure no one steps on her. I'm keeping Big Buff. She's in good chicken hands, but I want her to be able to walk properly so she doesn't have a buff cockerel with feathered legs strutting alongside her everywhere. Much as it is a comical sight, she is in pain. She cheeps very loudly sometimes even though she is with her friends.
Oh, and when I pick her up, she stretches her legs and wings like you may see chickens do... Does any of the information help?

Back
Top Bottom