chick with swollen abdomen...

cheecharrones

In the Brooder
Oct 8, 2020
loxahatchee florida
hey all. i just lost my 3 day old ameraucana chick this morning. i thought it was pasty butt at first but now i’m not so sure; hoping a someone on here can give me some insight. i went to tend to my girls this morning and this one was just laying down right by the heat plate, while the others were chirping and very lively. i picked her up and checked her butt, it looked a bit “pasty” so i went to work on clearing it. i successfully cleared the vent. then i brought her out to my garage where it’s much warmer, and dipped her beak in some electrolyte water and tried to encourage her to eat some scrambled egg. she wasn’t interested in any of it. then she LEAPT out of my hand, which i thought was a good sign, like she’s moving right? well shortly after that is when she passed. after she passed i noticed her abdomen, and near her “belly button” was quite swollen. like i said, i had successfully cleared her vent, but i’m not even sure if the vent was blocked in the first place as it was very easy to clear. i wish i had a photo to post but i didn’t think to take one until after i but just picture a very young chick who’s belly button area was very swollen and purpleish. do you think it was a case of PB that i caught too late, or could it have been something else? she seemed fine yesterday :( i’m so upset

Back
Top Bottom