lavendermarie

Songster
May 12, 2022
I have a black australorp hen who I found standing where my chickens hang out off to the side with her eyes closed and sort of puffed up feathers. She’s one of our less friendly chickens, and I went to pet her and she just stood there. Usually she’d run off or move away. Then, when I threw some food out there, she ran out to eat and seemed fine. After a minute she started walking a bit slower but she looked a lot more energetic. I know the symptoms are kind of vague but if anyone’s had chickens act a similar way and found an answer to what was happening, that could be helpful. I’m also kind of concerned about avian flu, could that be it? Or would I be seeing symptoms in multiple chickens?

(I forgot to mention, I had a golden laced sebright who was acting similarly back in April. After a while she became her normal self again. We gave her some safegaurd dewormer on a piece of bread, and we just did the same to the australorp in case it’s some kind of worm issue.)

When is the last time she laid an egg?

I'd make sure that she's drinking well, check to make sure her crop is emptying overnight and look her over for lice/mites.

Report back and let us know how she's doing.
Come to think of it, i’m not sure. Maybe a week ago?

Thank you! I didn’t even think to check her crop, I’ll do all of that.

I will . 🤍 Thank you so much again.

Agree, I would check that her crop has food in it towards the evening and empty in the morning. I would feel her keel or breast bone and note if she's skinny.

Any chicken young or old that "looks" sick I immediately treat for Cocci with Corid in the water and perhaps try to get her to take a few dribbles off a spoon on the side of her beak.

Check for an impacted egg she can't pass. Aside from this I do go to antibiotics . E.Coli is a terrible thing that's always around. IMO I think Tylan covers a few different ailments. I would also treat for worms .

Agree, I would check that her crop has food in it towards the evening and empty in the morning. I would feel her keel or breast bone and note if she's skinny.

Any chicken young or old that "looks" sick I immediately treat for Cocci with Corid in the water and perhaps try to get her to take a few dribbles off a spoon on the side of her beak.

Check for an impacted egg she can't pass. Aside from this I do go to antibiotics . E.Coli is a terrible thing that's always around. IMO I think Tylan covers a few different ailments. I would also treat for worms .
Okay thank you i’ll definitely check her crop and her breast bone tomorrow morning. Along with an impacted egg. And yes I gave her safegaurd earlier, do you think that will do it for the worms? Thank you so much you have no idea how much this helped. 🤍🤍

UPDATE: I checked for lice and mites, nothing seems to be wrong with her crop and she doesn’t seem to have lost any noticeable weight? Yesterday morning when we took her out of the area we put her in she ran off and seemed completely fine. Today, the same thing. She seems completely better. I have no idea what happened, but I’m going to continue keeping an eye on her a bit incase. Thank you so much everyone for all the advice! I’m so glad so far everything turned out okay. 🤍🤍

Yesterday morning when we took her out of the area we put her in she ran off and seemed completely fine. Today, the same thing. She seems completely better. I have no idea what happened, but I’m going to continue keeping an eye on her a bit incase.

Fortunately, many times my chickens get better all by themselves. Good for you to notice something strange with your chicken. Glad to hear she is better.

Back
Top Bottom