Chicken antibiotics

Amoxicillin is a good all purpose, broad spectrum antibiotic. Fish meds work fine for chickens and don't require a prescription. The daily dose is 250mg for a standard adult chicken. So you would need to divide this 500mg pill in half. I used to get 250mg amoxicillin from this place, https://www.kvsupply.com/item/thomas-labs-fish-mox-forte-500mg-x-100ct/P01800/ but they quit carrying it. They also carry other meds.

are you sure the chicken needs antibiotics? what is the diagnoses? the reason they arent readily available is because people use them too much when they arent needed and have contributed to the development of superbugs
No I am not certain, however yesterday she was open mouth breathing and now she is unable to walk. She won't eat or drink much either. I posted a different thread earlier but didn't get much of a response. uch

Why don't you go back to your original thread and post an update with more information? It will get more responses than trying to start all over.

I buy enough antibiotics for a couple of years to keep on hand in the event a chicken takes suddenly sick. Valuable time can be saved by keeping some in the fridge.

My hen won't walk, eat or drink. Does anyone know where I can get some antibiotics online? If so, which one?
No I am not certain, however yesterday she was open mouth breathing and now she is unable to walk. She won't eat or drink much either. I posted a different thread earlier but didn't get much of a response. uch
Last night I went to close up my coop and check on my girls and one of my hens was wheezing. This morning I went to check on her and she was laying on the floor of the coop and wouldn't get up. I separated her into a dog kennel with food and water and she won't eat or drink. Also has loose stool. I am new to owning chickens so I'm not sure what to do! k
She is about 5 months old. She hasn't laid yet that I have noticed, I am located in Colorado and the weather has been dry but pretty mild and warm. She is on a heart hen pellet food. I did bring her into a warmer area and she seems like she may have eaten a couple pieces of food and maybe a little bit of water but not much. Tomorrow I'll check her more thoughroly, she was pretty stressed out earlier when I moved her inside. Last night when I checked on her she was open mouth breathing but I haven't noticed it since. My girls have a coop with a run but I let them out into the yard for a couple hours out of the day usually.

I pulled some of your information from your other thread - sometimes it's helpful for us to see what symptoms you have reported. https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-hen-wont-walk-eat-or-drink.1226488/

I agree with @1cock2hens it's hard to know if she needs antibiotics when you don't know what is wrong with her.
Photos of the poop and of her may also be helpful.

You mentioned loose stools, open mouth breathing, lethargy, not eating/drinking and wheezing - let me know if I missed something.

How long have you had her?
How does her crop feel-is it emptying overnight?
The wheezing - is it still there? Any other symptoms like mucous from the nostrils, runny eyes, coughing, sneezing?
Have you check her over for any external parasites?
Do the legs seem paralyzed or numb - or is she weak and not able to walk?

Do what you can to keep her hydrated. If you have poultry vitamins like Poultry Nutri-Drench, get some of those into her. After she is hydrated, then offer food.

With those symptoms and her age, I would also be considering disease like Marek's. Having a fecal float is also a good idea.

Hopefully with more information, we can give you better suggestions.

Amoxicillin is a good all purpose, broad spectrum antibiotic. Fish meds work fine for chickens and don't require a prescription. The daily dose is 250mg for a standard adult chicken. So you would need to divide this 500mg pill in half. I used to get 250mg amoxicillin from this place, https://www.kvsupply.com/item/thomas-labs-fish-mox-forte-500mg-x-100ct/P01800/ but they quit carrying it. They also carry other meds.
I need to administer this to my hen. Thanks for the help so far but I was wondering how much water do you dissolve the 250mg in? Is it a Liter or a gallon? I’ve heard so many different numbers so I’m a bit confused.

The amoxicillin comes in handy 250mg capsules that can be placed directly into the mouth of the chicken. Don't worry. A chicken can swallow a pill that would be a daunting task for a human.

Back
Top Bottom