Chicken aspirated

chickiemama27

Songster
6 Years
Apr 18, 2017
Good morning! I believe that my chicken had sour crop and has aspirated. She has a gurgling sound when she breathes. Has anyone used homeopathy to treat their bird for something like this? I’d love any help or rec y’all could make! Thank you!

If you could post a video to youtube or the like and post a link here, that would help folks here to zero in on the exact cause. There are a couple different reasons why they make those kinds of sounds.

Have you seen the sour crop articles? Is that how you know it is sour crop? I also cannot think of anything in homeopathy that could treat sour crop, yeasts are too strong for that. Do you mean natural remedies?

If you could post a video to youtube or the like and post a link here, that would help folks here to zero in on the exact cause. There are a couple different reasons why they make those kinds of sounds.
I’d be happy to! I’m not home right now, but I could have one of my kids take a video of her. She did vomit, and that’s when the rattling started, so that’s what leads me to believe that she aspirated.

Mmm, that makes sense. There is this thing called stridor, where basically something is stuck in their throat and makes a big sound, but resolves on it's own. A video would help folks confirm that.

Let me know if you need help with a treatment plan.

Mmm, that makes sense. There is this thing called stridor, where basically something is stuck in their throat and makes a big sound, but resolves on it's own. A video would help folks confirm that.

Let me know if you need help with a treatment plan.
I’d love a treatment plan. As soon as I can get a video, I’ll post and y’all can chime in with feedback. I feel so bad for her. She doesn’t want to eat now and I’m sure it’s bc it’s hard for her to breathe 😔

Most of the folks on here suggest using the yeast infection medicine you would buy at a pharmacy. It may sound odd, but that is your best bet. There is a description in this article.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would take the round suppositories, peel off the coating and then cut it into pieces to feed to my hen. There is a wax in it, but I decided I would rather feed her that than the strange stuff in the cream.

The stool softener (sodium docusate) should help her to just clear out whatever is left in there. I would do that and the coconut oil treatment at the same time.

Let me know how that sounds. I know that there are herbs that can work for yeast. They will take longer, and you will have to make sure that they are not toxic to chickens. Most folks on here just use conventional stuff, I am guessing for those reasons.

Most of the folks on here suggest using the yeast infection medicine you would buy at a pharmacy. It may sound odd, but that is your best bet. There is a description in this article.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

I would take the round suppositories, peel off the coating and then cut it into pieces to feed to my hen. There is a wax in it, but I decided I would rather feed her that than the strange stuff in the cream.

The stool softener (sodium docusate) should help her to just clear out whatever is left in there. I would do that and the coconut oil treatment at the same time.

Let me know how that sounds. I know that there are herbs that can work for yeast. They will take longer, and you will have to make sure that they are not toxic to chickens. Most folks on here just use conventional stuff, I am guessing for those reasons.
Thank you! So the gurgling sound is from the sour crop? Not from aspirating?

Yeah, just get up the video when you are able. She may not want to eat from her crop issues, too, but hopefully she'll be back to normal soon.

It is hard from me to say where the gurgling is coming from without hearing it myself. I thought that she aspirated from the sour crop, so a couple steps back.

The article lists out how to tell what is going on with the crop, so you should be able to tell from the signs which one she has. Let me know if you have any questions.

Yeah, just get up the video when you are able. She may not want to eat from her crop issues, too, but hopefully she'll be back to normal soon.

It is hard from me to say where the gurgling is coming from without hearing it myself. I thought that she aspirated from the sour crop, so a couple steps back.

The article lists out how to tell what is going on with the crop, so you should be able to tell from the signs which one she has. Let me know if you have any questions.
Ok, finally. I had to send it from my phone to my computer in order to get it to send. Are you able to see it?

Back
Top Bottom