Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

Pics
Hi everyone! I have 1 absolutely beautiful 9 week gold spitzhauben who I’m afraid might be a cockerel, but I just can’t tell.
I’ve included a bunch of pictures.
Are they a noisy breed?View attachment 2183917View attachment 2183918View attachment 2183919View attachment 2183920
Face looks girly to me, but wattles that large on a 9wk old does point to cockerel. He is a very pretty boy.

Noisy? When crowing they can be. They like to announce the morning before sunrise and several times a day. I have other roosters so they like to compete in crowing contests. Hens are more quiet unless they've lost or misplaced a friend. Then they do cry out if lonely.

i have been fooled several times this year with combs/wattles...what struck me was the legs. they are pretty thick for a spitz pullet i think. my lovely girls has very delicate legs. i am forever complimenting her on her FEET and legs..really lovely, thin,...just love this breed! my hen is very quiet i have to say. i hope you can keep him!!

On a Dutch site I found more colours as the 3 described by Sumi. And even bantams.

http://www.kippenencyclopedie.nl/php/index.php?title=Appenzeller_spitskuif

Searching for more information about these bantam Spitzhauben I found more info on a Dutch site: http://www.spitskuifkriel.nl/

Translated by Google:
Spitzhauben bantams are a creation of breeder Herman van Olst from Vorden. He was always a fan of the Swiss Appenzeller Spitzhauben and kept it with his father as a child. These large pointy quests were not very popular.

To increase interest in the breed, Herman decided to develop a bantam variant. He crossed an Appenzeller pointed crest with a Dutch bantam and got two roosters and a hen from the first crossing. This laid the foundation for a new chicken breed, a breed that is now in the spotlight both at home and abroad.

The Spitzhauben bantam ( Spitskuifkriel ) got the recognition of the union in the Netherlands in 2003 in the color silver black. In 2005 the color gold black spelled. After that, approvals followed in both colours in Belgium, Switzerland and Germany. In Great Britain, black, blue and chamois (gold white spangled) are also recognized, because they took over all the colors of the great pointed crested there.

I have two of these hens and they are BY FAR the loudest hens I have ever had. I've even had people ask "what kind of rooster is that". They make this crazy almost crowing long sound and just love to chat it up. Lord forbid if one has to jump up on a fence- the entire pasture hears about it in the squabble and bobble.

That said, they really do look like little dalmation chickens with a poofy head. Super unique and I enjoy having them for the 10 minutes a day they're not making noise.

Back
Top Bottom