Chicken Breed Focus - Appenzeller Spitzhauben

It's regularly been 100 here and both my girls are running around outside like it's 70s.

On the bright side, Effie (I have Effie and Trinket, yes, I planned that XD) laid her first egg a few days ago. Probably had laid more since then but I can't find their outside nest yet

Glad to see they are heat-tolerant. 100 degrees and low humidity is very common here in the summer.

I have some 3-4 day old chicks. Are you sure these are chickens? I've had some mellow chicks in the past (an orpington I called buddha, but he was an only hatchling so I thought that was why). These chicks are the most mellow friendly little things I have ever hatched. They also don't eat nearly as much as the other breeds I have hatched , so far at least(I've hatched about 6 different breeds). Maybe it's because they are slow growers?

Also they're by far the quietest little peepers I've ever had in my box, never seemed to get stressed about anything either, not a single distress call. This may be my new favorite breed.

I used one to break my broody blue isbar hen of her stubborn broodiness... well it was 3 almost-hatched eggs but 2 of them didn't quite make it out. She is the most dedicated mother I've ever seen. That one is more active. Can't wait to see their beautiful feathers. I wonder if they are all like mine?

They also don't eat nearly as much as the other breeds I have hatched , so far at least(I've hatched about 6 different breeds). Maybe it's because they are slow growers?
Spitzies just dont eat as much feed as other chickens, especially the fat lazy orps, because they are a good foraging breed. They will get up to close to 95% of their food foraging. But they do love to wander.

These chicks are the most mellow friendly little things I have ever hatched.
Mine are like that too... i once watched an older chick hop out of his broader, and hop into the newly hatched chick broader.

He didn't peck at them (I think he was already 3 weeks or so), just tried their feed to see if it was better.

That is interesting.

Mine are quiet, and never broody. I love the fact that they are a bit small since that equals less feed consumed.

I have no heat.... they do great in the cold.

They are very pretty, do great in cold weather and are headstrong. Our spitz roo would actually pick up food and take it to his gal, China. I was really amazed at that! They are a good bird for Alaska!

My sweet roo Jake does this. I can be passing out treats.with more than enough for everyone to get several. He will either call the girls over to get his or just take it to them. He has NEVER taken any for himself. What a guy! 😍❤ But at the same time, I feel bad for him. He should at least get a little........

My Spitzhauben rooster Beldar also always gives up all the treats to the girls. But he does have an ulterior motive....
Beldar.jpg

I have the pleasure of owning one young A.S bird, as unfortunately the other eggs of her breed did not hatch.

We named her Frida.
There is some colour in ‘her’ wattles now, especially when excited or nervous (which is a lot) even though they are only 4 weeks old.

I WOULD say I’m quite good at guessing sexes in chicks from a young age, as I watch their personality and behaviour. Usually get it right from day 1 these days (I’m a total chicken geek).

She is very sassy, observant, gentle and affectionate and has the traits of a matriarch hen. Obviously you hope for a pullet so I maybe just being bias...
There is another chick in the group (different breed) I suspected from day one is male, he is already showing red face and some male traits and they NEVER spar. I’ve never seen any play fighting, which I’ve never witnessed before.

Could anyone help me sex them?
Any help would be much appreciated as they are my favourite chicken from the bunch.
Thanks!
Kate. 8CA108FE-0B3E-4063-9613-D47452A4B6FC.jpeg 21F654F9-42FB-42B8-B000-9912B0F962FB.jpeg 9EFB129F-FCE8-4595-A393-F993437E08DC.jpeg A519DA31-997C-4159-A768-319310702F40.jpeg

I have the pleasure of owning one young A.S bird, as unfortunately the other eggs of her breed did not hatch.

We named her Frida.
There is some colour in ‘her’ wattles now, especially when excited or nervous (which is a lot) even though they are only 4 weeks old.

I WOULD say I’m quite good at guessing sexes in chicks from a young age, as I watch their personality and behaviour. Usually get it right from day 1 these days (I’m a total chicken geek).

She is very sassy, observant, gentle and affectionate and has the traits of a matriarch hen. Obviously you hope for a pullet so I maybe just being bias...
There is another chick in the group (different breed) I suspected from day one is male, he is already showing red face and some male traits and they NEVER spar. I’ve never seen any play fighting, which I’ve never witnessed before.

Could anyone help me sex them?
Any help would be much appreciated as they are my favourite chicken from the bunch.
Thanks!
Kate.View attachment 2323351View attachment 2323350View attachment 2323352View attachment 2323353
Color in the wattles that early = male. Usually you can first see the wattles in the boys around 7-9 weeks. The girls not until around 4 months.

Back
Top Bottom