Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

Thanks for the mentions, @chicken4prez and @NorthFLChick !
big_smile.png
I was ecstatic when I found this particular Breed Focus upon waking up. As many of you may know, I sort of represent Alex here on BYC by taking her name and never using any other chicken in my avatar but my quirky little sweetie. Might I dare to venture that she has a severe case of "chicken ADHD," which furthers her endearing, ornery personality. I tell you, it is an Olympic feat to snap a picture of her when her head is moving 30 times every second!
tongue.png
And talk about enough energy to power a small town...whew.....
D.gif
Although Alex is extremely docile and doesn't seem to mind being scooped up, I think she secretly hates having to stay still for even 1 minute. Oh, and one other thing, NEVER try to have a bonfire with marshmallows, s'mores, and hot dogs in peace, because she'll waste no time about flying up on your arm to snatch a gooey marshmallow right out of your fingers, hopping down, and then running away to devour her treat. I mean, really, she doesn't even say please! She's got the most adorable, strange voice in which she expresses her MANY opinions, that I have described as "crackly." It's so cute!

What about the time I walked into the coop, only to find that one of the coils of flypaper hanging from the ceiling was nowhere to be found. Then it dawned on me, what if it's stuck to one of the girls? A quick inspection revealed that the missing flypaper was dragging from Alex's long, beautiful tail....stuck fast. There was simply no pulling it off even if you tried! So, I did the only thing I could-wield a pair of scissors and chop at it until there was only a little stubby thing 1 1/2 inches long left for a tail. Poor Alex! What can I say, she's my nosy girl!
big_smile.png

As wonderful as all that is, the most infamous Alex moment still stands in my mind-the day she battled with our Lavender Orpington cockerel, T.Roo (who is no longer
wink.png
). He got a smidgen too bold, and caught my precious Alex by surprise, ripping a few feathers out of her back. Rather than running away like some of the others did, she turned around with this evil glint in her eye, and proceeded to engage in warfare with the young roo who was attempting to dominate her. Imagine this: a teeny-tiny Campine hen flying with pure hatred at a huge cockerel almost 3 times her size. Finally, she had gotten the best of T.Roo and he began his hasty retreat (believe me, it was hasty, because she was practically anger itself). But victory wasn't enough to satisfy my bloody-thirsty Alex, so she chased him down and proceeded to rip and pull his long sickle feathers until he screamed like a little girl. I still wish I had all this on video!

Alex photobombing Eperny!

Alex enjoying a nice dustbathing session with her little twin, Cookie the Sicilian Buttercup.

-Alex

Thanks for the mentions, @chicken4prez and @NorthFLChick !
big_smile.png
I was ecstatic when I found this particular Breed Focus upon waking up. As many of you may know, I sort of represent Alex here on BYC by taking her name and never using any other chicken in my avatar but my quirky little sweetie. Might I dare to venture that she has a severe case of "chicken ADHD," which furthers her endearing, ornery personality. I tell you, it is an Olympic feat to snap a picture of her when her head is moving 30 times every second!
tongue.png
And talk about enough energy to power a small town...whew.....
D.gif
Although Alex is extremely docile and doesn't seem to mind being scooped up, I think she secretly hates having to stay still for even 1 minute. Oh, and one other thing, NEVER try to have a bonfire with marshmallows, s'mores, and hot dogs in peace, because she'll waste no time about flying up on your arm to snatch a gooey marshmallow right out of your fingers, hopping down, and then running away to devour her treat. I mean, really, she doesn't even say please! She's got the most adorable, strange voice in which she expresses her MANY opinions, that I have described as "crackly." It's so cute!

What about the time I walked into the coop, only to find that one of the coils of flypaper hanging from the ceiling was nowhere to be found. Then it dawned on me, what if it's stuck to one of the girls? A quick inspection revealed that the missing flypaper was dragging from Alex's long, beautiful tail....stuck fast. There was simply no pulling it off even if you tried! So, I did the only thing I could-wield a pair of scissors and chop at it until there was only a little stubby thing 1 1/2 inches long left for a tail. Poor Alex! What can I say, she's my nosy girl!
big_smile.png

As wonderful as all that is, the most infamous Alex moment still stands in my mind-the day she battled with our Lavender Orpington cockerel, T.Roo (who is no longer
wink.png
). He got a smidgen too bold, and caught my precious Alex by surprise, ripping a few feathers out of her back. Rather than running away like some of the others did, she turned around with this evil glint in her eye, and proceeded to engage in warfare with the young roo who was attempting to dominate her. Imagine this: a teeny-tiny Campine hen flying with pure hatred at a huge cockerel almost 3 times her size. Finally, she had gotten the best of T.Roo and he began his hasty retreat (believe me, it was hasty, because she was practically anger itself). But victory wasn't enough to satisfy my bloody-thirsty Alex, so she chased him down and proceeded to rip and pull his long sickle feathers until he screamed like a little girl. I still wish I had all this on video!

-Alex
I love this pic! Thank you for sharing!

Alex is exactly as you so eloquently describe her, @Alexandra33. I am ALSO smitten with that quirky little squirt of a pullet! I'll never forget the day you walked through the yard, chomping on an apple, and Alex ran you down, flew up on your arm, and helped herself to your snack. We all got a laugh out of it.

I would DEFINITELY own this breed again for various reasons: fun personality, respectable egg production (I'm still amazed that an egg that size can come out of something so tiny), and downright good looks.

I'm honestly surprised this breed isn't FAR more popular than it is. In fact, it's listed as critically endangered.

I know it's not a recognized color, but I must say the Chamois Campine is one of the most beautiful chickens I've ever laid eyes on...

I found out a couple days ago that my local feed store was getting Golden Campines, and I was debating getting them for a long time because I'm not that big a fan of the gold color and I've never found a silver; but judging from what everyone has said about Campines I will definitely be getting one
wink.png

I found out a couple days ago that my local feed store was getting Golden Campines, and I was debating getting them for a long time because I'm not that big a fan of the gold color and I've never found a silver; but judging from what everyone has said about Campines I will definitely be getting one ;)

The silver variety is stunning. Wisher1000 should be a good person to ask.

Last edited:
I'm really enjoying the "personality" stories on this breed. Nice to know even though they are on the small size, they can stand up for themselves. Might have to put these on my short list (that keeps getting longer, lol).

Back
Top Bottom