Chicken Breed Focus - Campine

Pics
Please do, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me here any time.

I took 14 Campines to the Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Show in Newnan, GA this past weekend. Of course, mine were the only ones there - with one exception ..... sorta'. A young lady from my state that is very active in 4H bought a cockerel from me two weeks ago and she showed him in the youth class. He got Reserve Grand Champion Large Fowl! (for those of you not familiar with showing, that means he was chosen the second best non-bantam chicken shown by the younger exhibitors.)

I was THRILLED!!!! She and I shared lots of hugs, high fives, and fist bumps. It was so much fun.
Wow. That is really great. How exciting, and what a great commentary on your breeding.

On another note, I'm keeping my hands out of the incubator, and it is holding steady.

I know that is a good thing, Sharol, but everyone else may not......Wanna tell them what you are cooking in there?
Sure. I have 20 of @Wisher1000 's Silver Campine eggs and some others for fillers/benchmarks in my little incubator. I get to candle next tuesday (day 10). Not opening that lid until then. The eggs came in great shape, none broken or cracked. Wisher1000 knows how to pack them.

Sure.  I have 20 of @Wisher1000
 's Silver Campine eggs and some others for fillers/benchmarks in my little incubator. I get to candle next tuesday (day 10).  Not opening that lid until then.  The eggs came in great shape, none broken or cracked.  Wisher1000 knows how to pack them.

She is awesome.
She coached us through our first hatch from a beach
.on her vacation.

But she is an enabler.....

Quote:
LOL you can say that again. She has already given me tons of really valuable advice about hatching shipped eggs. I am going to be in so much trouble if all of those eggs hatch!! I have 8 English orpington eggs in there, and a buyer for any Jubilee chicks that hatch, and 6 Breda Fowl eggs from my trio, and those chicks should sell so that should help if any of them hatch. There is also one lonely little green EE egg. I hope it hatches -- it is pretty porous, so i doubt it will. I haven't had any luck with the EE eggs over the last 3 years. My original plan was to just hatch the Campine eggs, but I wanted to have a way of knowing whether the shipping had impacted the hatch rate, so I put in 15 eggs of my own as a baseline. Her birds are amazing, I'm sure hoping for a decent hatch so I can raise some chicks of my own from them.

Hey, now!

lau.gif

Sharol, I only wanted more Campine breeders, I didn't tell you to put all those other eggs in there, although having empty egg cups in a running incubator does seem a waste.... and more eggs does help stabilize the temperature and that improves the chances for more to hatch, and BTW, 1Kluckychick, when are y'all going to get that Sportsman? Enabler? Guilty as charged!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, I know. Wouldn't want to waste all that heat on empty egg space. I'm dying here not being able to candle those eggs. But. I'm NOT going to open that incubator. It is stable, and all I'm doing is adding 10cc of water (syringe though aquarium tubing) once or twice a day depending on what the readings are. 6 more days to candle day (if I don't count today).

Please do, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me here any time.

I took 14 Campines to the Chattahoochee Valley Poultry Show in Newnan, GA this past weekend. Of course, mine were the only ones there - with one exception ..... sorta'. A young lady from my state that is very active in 4H bought a cockerel from me two weeks ago and she showed him in the youth class. He got Reserve Grand Champion Large Fowl! (for those of you not familiar with showing, that means he was chosen the second best non-bantam chicken shown by the younger exhibitors.)

I was THRILLED!!!! She and I shared lots of hugs, high fives, and fist bumps. It was so much fun.
Thank you, Wisher. Congratulations, by the way! That is quite an accomplishment for you and the young lady who bought and showed your cockerel. Do you have any pictures of him?

Back
Top Bottom