Chicken Breed Focus - Crevecoeur

Thanks for the info I Was wondering what breed he was
910A34D7-1D90-4BE6-8F10-E3801398D387.jpeg

I’m pretty sure this is one of my chicks from a choice egg layers assortment I got in July. I think it may be a roo, Can someone confirm? I hope a hen, but just happy to have this awesome bird! All black except for one white feather on the back of the head. Approx

Attachments

• 3C126135-9340-4885-BD0D-F8CC3AF8A646.jpeg
    3C126135-9340-4885-BD0D-F8CC3AF8A646.jpeg
    737.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 3F3B147B-B343-4112-ACD0-A6428683DF01.jpeg
    3F3B147B-B343-4112-ACD0-A6428683DF01.jpeg
    535.3 KB · Views: 11
  • D146F6AD-5DFF-4F80-8FD8-F41A16CEEBA5.jpeg
    D146F6AD-5DFF-4F80-8FD8-F41A16CEEBA5.jpeg
    610.1 KB · Views: 14
I’m pretty sure this is one of my chicks from a choice egg layers assortment I got in July. I think it may be a roo, Can someone confirm? I hope a hen, but just happy to have this awesome bird! All black except for one white feather on the back of the head. Approx

Not an expert, but can say probably 🤓

From there site:

1. All breeds within the APA Standard are selected to those standards. We do, however, not discard a bird from our breeding program for minor flaws, such as an extra point on a comb or a slightly off color eye, if the bird has other desirable traits. Our goal is to maintain genetic diversity and all defining characteristics.

To me that is not breeding to SOP. If you do not discard those minor flaws, you pass them on. That said I admire what they are doing to preserve rare breeds.

It's hard to say and I'm no expert, but our Crevecoeur rooster has what I'd call a faux hawk (spiky on top, not much on the sides) and our pullet has what I'd call a mullet (what looks like a pompom on the top that fans out on the sides). Our rooster is in the closeup photo.

Attachments

• IMG_6421.jpeg
    IMG_6421.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_6949.jpeg
    IMG_6949.jpeg
    736.8 KB · Views: 13
Do you own Crevecoeurs? Are you a Crevecoeur breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Thanks for creating this thread! We got two Crevecoeurs on a whim from McMurray Hatchery. They are 19 weeks old and were both supposed to be female, but one is a cockerel. Both of them are pretty skittish, although the pullet allows us to pet her. The cockerel is absolutely berserkers, but I can coax him to eat out of my hand and he's pretty docile so far with the 13 pullets and hens in our flock. We're still on the fence about whether or not to keep him and we can't rehome him since we have Mareks in our flock (although he's been vaccinated). So far, he hasn't started crowing and the pullet hasn't started laying.

If we did it over again, I'm not sure I'd get this breed, even though I'm really excited to see the cockerel's devil horns! And unlike other different-looking breeds we've had that were bullied excessively (Silkies and Polish), Crevecoeurs really hold their own.

Below is a photo of the Crevecoeur cockerel squaring up against our absolutely beautiful, friendly Black Star. They were locked in a showdown like this long enough for me to take a photo LOL

Attachments

• IMG_7755.jpeg
    IMG_7755.jpeg
    909.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Do you own Crevecoeurs? Are you a Crevecoeur breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Thanks for creating this thread! We got two Crevecoeurs on a whim from McMurray Hatchery. They are 19 weeks old and were both supposed to be female, but one is a cockerel. Both of them are pretty skittish, although the pullet allows us to pet her. The cockerel is absolutely berserkers, but I can coax him to eat out of my hand and he's pretty docile so far with the 13 pullets and hens in our flock. We're still on the fence about whether or not to keep him and we can't rehome him since we have Mareks in our flock (although he's been vaccinated). So far, he hasn't started crowing and the pullet hasn't started laying.

If we did it over again, I'm not sure I'd get this breed, even though I'm really excited to see the cockerel's devil horns! And unlike other different-looking breeds we've had that were bullied excessively (Silkies and Polish), Crevecoeurs really hold their own.

Below is a photo of the Crevecoeur cockerel squaring up against our absolutely beautiful, friendly Black Star. They were locked in a showdown like this long enough for me to take a photo LOL
Just started breeding in 2020 and my original birds are from Greenfire Farms. The French line (imported) is said to be heavier, but more aggressive.

I'm at four months with my hatchlings from those birds: four pullets and two cockerels. It's decision time and the calmest roo, Lucien, is winning. I have found a rehome for the pretty Lestat who has already come at me for picking up his brother because, "hey, I wasn't through terrorizing him!"

What I'd give for my gentle babies to remain somewhat sane once the testosterone starts flowing. I'm looking for Crevecoeur hatching eggs from a calmer flock so I can gain a gentler rooster to breed.

So far all 5 roosters I've raised have been too aggressive to let out of their run with guests around. Or even my husband. Fortunately rehoming exotic roosters is easy here.

I heavily documented my flock on my YouTube channel. This is the hatchlings only:

https://youtube.com/shorts/icKkfHx7f1g?feature=share

My 5 Stages of Roo:

1. This is the prettiest pullet ever! Look at her feathers!
2. These tail feathers are too long! That's wrong!
3. Oh, lord, if she's a she this batch, I'll be fine with all he's next hatch--
4. My girl's crowing. Crowing is knowing.
5. Yeah, he's a roo, but he's the sweetest one, too

Luci: The Six Crevecoeur Chicks

Lucien Crevecoeur Crows at 3 Months

Back
Top Bottom