Chicken Breed Focus - Cubalaya

It’s interesting how the Cubalaya tail looks like a Rhode Island Reds from above. Is the slow growth in the Cubalaya a preferred trait? How is their disease resistance?

It’s interesting how the Cubalaya tail looks like a Rhode Island Reds from above. Is the slow growth in the Cubalaya a preferred trait? How is their disease resistance?

probably because both breeds share malay blood in their original makeup. slow growth is not a bad thing. these are long lived birds that are productive as they get older. the hens do not slow down their laying to nothing at 3 years of age. disease resistance depends on the breeder. in the past I have culled everything that even looked sick so now I have a very healthy and vigorous bunch of cubalayas.

I definitely think they are a healthy and vigorous breed, or maybe I've just gotten lucky. I will say that this fall I have treated dry fowl pox and coccidiosis in my bantams. They had supervised free range time with the Cubalayas, and I never saw the first freckle of disease in them, nor have I ever treated anything in the Cubalayas since getting them in March.
I also think their chicks are fairly hardy. Out of a group of five and a group of seven (raised by broody mamas), I only lost one chick from each batch. All other chicks have reached adulthood and the hens should be laying soon.

When I first found out about this breed I did a quick internet search and found very little. But once I joined BYC I noticed that there are a number of people that love this breed. I’m tempted to join their ranks but have been a fence sitter for about a year and a half. Mostly because I don't know anyone that has Cubalayas and I am not all that excited to get hatchery birds.

Out of curiosity in what numbers is this breed being hatched?
It would seem that many people have small flocks. What would constitute a large flock?
Is it hard to access quality birds that are unrelated?

there is cubakid in California with a fairly large flock. there is saladin in south Carolina with a large flock. there are people that have smaller flocks that know not to breed themselves into a corner.

I have been away on Facebook for awhile but still have cubalayas

Attachments

• IMG_20181030_161910.jpg
    IMG_20181030_161910.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom