Chicken Breed Focus - d'Uccle bantams

Quote:
That is one beautiful rooster!
love.gif

Love this breed! Very nice breed focus!
clap.gif
I got a porcelain d'Uccle chick that's now a month old. Love her so much! Thanks for doing this!
smile.png

@mymilliefleur , Gizmo's one handsome guy!
droolin.gif
lau.gif

I must ask you, how are their temperaments overall for a rooster? I'm really hoping Piranha and Barracuda turn out to be nice boys. Would the fact that they came from a breeder who selects for show-quality birds make any difference when it comes to dispositions? My logic, I guess, is that a judge couldn't handle an aggressive roo during a show.

~Alex

@mymilliefleur , Gizmo's one handsome guy!
droolin.gif
lau.gif

I must ask you, how are their temperaments overall for a rooster? I'm really hoping Piranha and Barracuda turn out to be nice boys. Would the fact that they came from a breeder who selects for show-quality birds make any difference when it comes to dispositions? My logic, I guess, is that a judge couldn't handle an aggressive rooster during a show.

~Alex

Thanks!
smile.png

Now that's a tough question...I think it more depends on the individual temperament. Most of my duccle roosters have been very docile, but our original two roosters were little devils and had to be put down because they were a threat to my younger siblings. I have not had a single aggressive duccle since than. Gizmo was raised by a broody hen and hardly handled as a chick, and despite that, he is very docile. My other rooster Pinto, and pinto's father Garbonzo were both hand raised and handled a lot as chicks and they are more skiddish and jumpy. So there definitely is a lot of personality variation. I agree with you that a breeder probably would not keep an aggressive rooster, hard to handle rooster around. My advise would be pick them up and hold them a lot. Let them eat out of your hand. You want them to see you as their caretaker and NOT another rooster. Hopefully they will both turn out nice, docile roosters!

Back
Top Bottom