Chicken Breed Focus - Java

Hello,
I have 3 pullets and 6 chicks at the moment. I was wondering if anyone is the particular go-to on the forums for SOP? Or what traits do you think really define a good mottled variety?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elemes

Hello,
I have 3 pullets and 6 chicks at the moment. I was wondering if anyone is the particular go-to on the forums for SOP? Or what traits do you think really define a good mottled variety?

Do you have a copy of the SOP? That's the first thing to have since it is the *Poultry Bible* so to speak. There are very few folks that raise Javas and breed them to the SOP and even fewer are here on BYC. To me, a well bred Java is bred to the SOP for appearance characteristics, as well as bred for meat and egg utility purposes. The APA discovered recently that they didn't emphasize utility enough and too many folks were focusing only on appearance traits, so they are now trying to get back to the basics and want folks to understand that birds need to be bred for their function as well as their form. I have some information on my website to help with SOP stuff if you want to take a look. It hasn't been updated in a while and works best on a real computer, not a phone, but there are some photos and stuff to use as an aid when you're reading the SOP. http://www.polarisstarfarm.com/JavaSOPBreeding.html The Java club is defunct but there is still some info on the website as well. http://www.javabreedersofamerica.com/

Do you have a copy of the SOP?  That's the first thing to have since it is the *Poultry Bible* so to speak.  There are very few folks that raise Javas and breed them to the SOP and even fewer are here on BYC.  To me, a well bred Java is bred to the SOP for appearance characteristics, as well as bred for meat and egg utility purposes.  The APA discovered recently that they didn't emphasize utility enough and too many folks were focusing only on appearance traits, so they are now trying to get back to the basics and want folks to understand that birds need to be bred for their function as well as their form.  I have some information on my website to help with SOP stuff if you want to take a look.  It hasn't been updated in a while and works best on a real computer, not a phone,  but there are some photos and stuff to use as an aid when you're reading the SOP.  http://www.polarisstarfarm.com/JavaSOPBreeding.html  The Java club is defunct but there is still some info on the website as well.  http://www.javabreedersofamerica.com/ 

I'm currently waiting on a copy to arrive. I did research the breeders club a bit, your website is excellent assistance, though! Thank you!

I'm currently waiting on a copy to arrive. I did research the breeders club a bit, your website is excellent assistance, though! Thank you!

Great! I wish that the Java club was still up and running, but the lack of people who are serious about breeding the birds is a problem. One of the oldest breeders downsized his flock even farther this year. Javas are in need of stewards who are willing to do the serious breeding necessary to keep the breed going.

We acquired some Black Javas this year and because they are such a rare breed, I’m considering breeding them. I have 4 hens and one rooster. I have some friends who would be interested in some chicks and I’m sure I could find some other local interest in this breed if we hatched some. What is the value of having small scale backyard breeders? Is it helpful or harmful to maintaining breed standards? What recommendations do you have for someone such as myself wanting to breed them at a very small scale?

Attachments

• 55F5BBB1-66F5-4CD8-96B0-828D7B247014.jpeg
    55F5BBB1-66F5-4CD8-96B0-828D7B247014.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • 31B5E5DC-4B1E-4931-86D4-C0AC752370C7.jpeg
    31B5E5DC-4B1E-4931-86D4-C0AC752370C7.jpeg
    585 KB · Views: 12
While the desire to breed them in an effort to preserve them in a time when hybrids are all the rage, I wouldn't advise breeding your rooster. He has quite a bit of red leakage in his hackles and saddle.

While the desire to breed them in an effort to preserve them in a time when hybrids are all the rage, I wouldn't advise breeding your rooster. He has quite a bit of red leakage in his hackles and saddle.
Thank you! I was wondering about this as well. I read that some people still advocate breeding them if their coloring is off.

If you can't find a male without leakage you can, but it's hard to breed out. It would be better (and easier) for you to find an unrelated male that doesn't have leakage. I used to have Blacks and Whites and loved them. I'd like to find some more, but I've had a hard time.

Back
Top Bottom