Chicken Breed Focus - Orpington

My boy is just a mountain, 13 pounds of easy going. My Rhode Island Red rooster is the dominate guy. So, yeah I know what a big bird looks like. Strauss is only at 9.5 pounds, but terrorizes Levi.

i had a buff orpington. her name was karen. she was my very 1st chicken. i bought her with 4 ducks and a feed store. i loved her temperment and personality.
smile.png

she was one of the sweetest chickens i have ever had. i was getting excited to show her at the fair. but sadly during the night when she was 4 months old she got eaten by a raccoon.
sad.png

so i cant say her egg laying rate and how good the eggs are but i will say that every body should try raising orpingtons. they are one of the best breeds.

i had a buff orpington. her name was karen. she was my very 1st chicken. i bought her with 4 ducks and a feed store. i loved her temperment and personality.
smile.png

she was one of the sweetest chickens i have ever had. i was getting excited to show her at the fair. but sadly during the night when she was 4 months old she got eaten by a raccoon.
sad.png

so i cant say her egg laying rate and how good the eggs are but i will say that every body should try raising orpingtons. they are one of the best breeds.

oooo so sorry to hear that.

We got 2 Buffs with our first batch of eight chickens last year. We wanted birds that could handle Wisconsin winters. Both were hens, we thought, but lo and behold one turned out to be a rooster. Skillet, our hen, is the first to greet anyone who goes into the backyard. My avatar is a picture of her sitting on my should when we first got her. Roo does what roosters do. He protects his ladies like he should. He was a handful at first, attacking anyone that went into the run to feed and water them. But after reading a few articles here and putting what I learned into practice he stopped his aggressive behavior towards me anyways. Overall, I think they are wonderful
thumbsup.gif

I have to buff orpingtons, but they have been losing feathers for six weeks. When will they start laying eggs. There a really friendly breed.

First time chicken owner. We just got 13 chicks, 3 weeks ago. The family picked out 2 Black Sex Links,2 Golde Sex Links,4 Rhode islands reds. And i picked out 5 Buff's! Loved everything I read about them(friendly, good with families, good winter chicks,broody) And they look beautiful in the pictures I saw. Just moved them into the coop,doing god and getting big. Love this new chicken experience!!

First time chicken owner. We just got 13 chicks, 3 weeks ago. The family picked out 2 Black Sex Links,2 Golde Sex Links,4 Rhode islands reds. And i picked out 5 Buff's! Loved everything I read about them(friendly, good with families, good winter chicks,broody) And they look beautiful in the pictures I saw. Just moved them into the coop,doing god and getting big. Love this new chicken experience!!
welcome-byc.gif

I have 3 Buff Orpingtons, along with 1 Barred Rock, 2 Black Australorps, and 2 Easter Eggers, and they're great! They're only 20 weeks old but they're some of my friendliest birds and the easiest to catch, though some of the others are starting to calm down a bit. They love food and treats but they're not pigs (well, they can be :p but they don't seem to overeat their food). I've only let mine out to free range maybe 8 times total but they've done very well and seem to love it. They usually all stick together as a group but sometimes the Orpingtons will venture off with just them or with an Easter Egger. They seem a little scared of the Australorps, who can be bullies because of space issues right now, but they have no problem standing up to other birds so not sure where they stand. One thing I have noticed though is that sometimes they will be so busy foraging or so deep in a bush that they don't notice when their friends leave and i have to find them/verbally or physically direct them. I probably don't actually have to but I'm paranoid hahah its only happened maybe a couple times though and once they found their way on their own. Anyhow, they're very nice birds. And actually, their combs have been red the past few weeks and one BO and my Barred Rock just started squatting yesterday. I'm surprised they started so soon as I had thought they were late maturing. Still no eggs though so we'll see. I have loads of pictures as chicks but not that many recently. I will have to try to find some to post without spamming :p I love mine though. And eventually I'd like every color and/or some breeder birds :p mine came from Meyer Hatchery. They are also the smallest birds of the flock but they're growing.

Last edited:
Oh! And I never even answered the questions! Whoops! I chose them and all the other breeds for their friendliness and cold hardiness, plus the Australorps for superb laying and EEs for egg color :p I had heard great things about all these breeds and these are our first chickens so I wanted friendly pets as well as good layers. Plus we live in MA so had to tolerate cold. Worked out well. Although my Australorps are kinda mean :( but my Orpingtons are extremely friendly!!! :) I originally wanted 2 of each breed but had my other BR die and added a free chick and I'm glad the free chick was an extra Orpington because theyre my favorite! Eventually if I get some from a breeder I may try showing them!

Last edited:
We had too buff Orpys last year, but both were picked off by predators within weeks of each other.
hit.gif
They were my favorites of our starter flock – so fluffy and sweet!

This year we picked up 4 buff pullets (and secured their run).
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom