Chicken Breed Focus - Silkie

Pics
Well, I've never had  Buff Orps or 'Lorps but my friend had a Buff Orp, Leghorns, red Sexlinks, some mixed breeds, EEs, and BCMs and her 2 Silkies had to hide most of the day behind a feeder or a waterer or a nestbox to keep away from these large dual purpose/layer breeds.  The LF can be on equal terms with breeds their own size but can't resist the temptation to bully a breed gentler or smaller than themselves - it's a chicken thing!  Orps and 'Lorps I understand can be sweet birds but my friend didn't find her Orp or dual purpoe very kind toward the Silkies or toward the EEs.  RIRs, BRs, Wyans, Marans, Orps, Sexlinks, Leghorns (or any Mediterranean class breeds) or any hybrid egg-layer breeds are on equal terms with each other but around Silkies I woiuldn't trust them - especially in a confined run or a smaller backyard. 

EEs on the other hand like our APA Ameraucana are known to be mostly non-combative hens and would prefer to flee rather than engage in conflict.  In fact, that's what gives them a reputation for being jittery jumpy kooky spooky wary alert birds because they will be the one running around the yard to get away from other chickens.  No breed in my flock can catch our Blue Wheaten Ameraucana once she perceives a threat and starts running on those long legs of hers LOL!  She has never fought one of our Silkies even when one of the Silkies got pissy broody nasty towards her.  Amer's and EE's are not the best layers after their 2nd year but they are great non-combative flockmates if you don't mind getting less eggs from them.

Might be coincidence only but I found through research some of the gentlest or non-combative temperament breeds happened to be either crested, bearded, muffed, tufted, vulture-hocked, feather-legged/feathered-toes, walnut or pea-combed breeds - Ameraucana, Araucana, Brahma, Breda, Cochin, EEs, Faverolles, Houdan, Polish, Silkie, Sultan.  Out of LF breeds it is reported that Australorps, Crevecoeurs, Dominiques, Dorkings, Dumpies (short legged breeds), Jersey Giants, Sussex, etc are gentle but I still wouldn't put them with Silkies simply because of their sheer size to bully something smaller than themselves.

Spend some time on various website forums reading reviews by owners of breeds you're interested in.  There will always be pros/cons to every breed but after reading several reviews a general theme starts to emerge about what the breed is really like and if it's a quality you do or don't like.  Wyans was a breed I truly wanted to try but with a 50/50 pro/con feedback about them I realized they would be a risk to try in my small backyard with Silkies.  We had a sweet Dominique pullet that never made it to point of lay and someday I would like to try one again to see how she does around two Silkies.  I have a good home for her should she not work out for us since chickeneers are always wanting a decent layer breed.  GL with your decisions and glad to see you are asking your questions and doing your research before adding any more breeds to your flock.  :thumbsup

Wow, thank you so much for the great response!! Thinking about it, it does make sense that they would bully smaller or gentler birds - seem they bully anything different from what I've heard. And even if they didn't bully them, you have a point about size. Even normal politics could probably lead to one being hurt I suppose. Do you think it.would be any better in a larger run or free ranging? Or probably still not?

I've definitely noticed my EE's being a little spooky! Lol usually only when I try to grab them though but they all are then and I'm working on not.doing that. I've noticed the EE's and Barred Rock actually seem to be the most confident and adventurous in terms of checking things out :) once they get running or.flying though good luck lol I definitely don't mind less eggs, especially since I'll have the other layer breeds and if I got Silkies, it seems I'd have to keep them separate and that'd probably mostly or entirely be a pet flock anyway. Though the layer one is too. :p

Ahh sorry, sent it before I finished typing! Lol

Anyway, wow, I never even noticed that! Yet those are all breeds I've heard are really gentle and friendly true so it must be true! Or actually, maybe it's just because people tend to think breeds like that, especially fluffy ones, are "cute" and usually more pets or for children so that's why they're friendlier maybe?

I'll definitely read more about certain breeds though but it's hard because sometimes people have different experiences and like you said, Wyans are 50/50, partly why I didn't add them, besides being sold out. I'm nervous to add them though and even worried about BR because I'm worried the Orps would be bullied.

I'll have to keep looking into breeds though because I feel like if I added Silkies I should maybe add other breeds besides them too and have another mixed flock rather than only Silkies.

But thank you, I like to research stuff. :)

Here are some of my silkies.

Ahh sorry, sent it before I finished typing! Lol

Anyway, wow, I never even noticed that! Yet those are all breeds I've heard are really gentle and friendly true so it must be true! Or actually, maybe it's just because people tend to think breeds like that, especially fluffy ones, are "cute" and usually more pets or for children so that's why they're friendlier maybe?

I'll definitely read more about certain breeds though but it's hard because sometimes people have different experiences and like you said, Wyans are 50/50, partly why I didn't add them, besides being sold out. I'm nervous to add them though and even worried about BR because I'm worried the Orps would be bullied.

I'll have to keep looking into breeds though because I feel like if I added Silkies I should maybe add other breeds besides them too and have another mixed flock rather than only Silkies.

But thank you, I like to research stuff.
smile.png

The first backyard chickens we had were a pair of Silkies. Over the last 5 years we added White Leghorn, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Leghorn, Ameraucana, and Breda with the Silkies and had to re-home all the bully egg-layer breeds. Although it was interesting to have the LF breeds - after all is said and done - I should've just kept only Silkies. They require TLC but it's minimal and easy once you know what maintenance and care they require -- and for being the largest bantam breed Silkies lay a decent-sized egg with good production in spite of being a broody breed. They grow into alert hens and sometimes are the first to sound the barnyard alert and hide quickly. Because they can't fly and have to run and skip I have a lot of shelters like pop-up canopy, low plywood shelters, several dog houses, plants, bushes, and lawn furniture for them to hide/snooze under. I got the Silkies to be pets so didn't think they were going to be very good egg-layers and started adding LF for eggs -- I really didn't need to. I remember reading that it was best not to mix Silkies with LF and I'm sorry I didn't heed the good advice. The only LF we have with the Silkies now is one Ameraucana and one Breda and will keep these 2 LF if they continue being submissive and continue to play "nice" with the Silkies. Otherwise I have no immediate plans to add any more birds. My DH can't imagine our backyard without Silkies when I suggested we never add any more Silkies - that's how impressed he is with Silkies. I'm seriously considering sticking with Silkies only as future flock additions. Even though Ameraucanas and EEs are the sweetest non-combative birds they are "iffy" layers and not worth the feed to have them around and our Breda is still young and in an experimental stage around the Silkies. In my old age I just want a peaceful backyard and don't want to deal with the drama of LF breeds around the Silkies LOL!

They are growing out nicely, although I think 4 out of 5 may be roosters. Somebody is crowing, just not sure who yet....
I'll post a few good ones of Slimy Bob (my splash) and Booger, (my paint). I was sure Booger was a pullet, but people are telling me otherwise! What am I gonna do with all these boys!? lol

The first backyard chickens we had were a pair of Silkies.  Over the last 5 years we added White Leghorn, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Leghorn, Ameraucana, and Breda with the Silkies and had to re-home all the bully egg-layer breeds.  Although it was interesting to have the LF breeds - after all is said and done - I should've just kept only Silkies.  They require TLC but it's minimal and easy once you know what maintenance and care they require -- and for being the largest bantam breed Silkies lay a decent-sized egg with good production in spite of being a broody breed.  They grow into alert hens and sometimes are the first to sound the barnyard alert and hide quickly.  Because they can't fly and have to run and skip I have a lot of shelters like pop-up canopy, low plywood shelters, several dog houses, plants, bushes, and lawn furniture for them to hide/snooze under.  I got the Silkies to be pets so didn't think they were going to be very good egg-layers and started adding LF for eggs -- I really didn't need to.  I remember reading that it was best not to mix Silkies with LF and I'm sorry I didn't heed the good advice.  The only LF we have with the Silkies now is one Ameraucana and one Breda and will keep these 2 LF if they continue being submissive and continue to play "nice" with the Silkies.  Otherwise I have no immediate plans to add any more birds.  My DH can't imagine our backyard without Silkies when I suggested we never add any more Silkies - that's how impressed he is with Silkies.  I'm seriously considering sticking with Silkies only as future flock additions.  Even though Ameraucanas and EEs are the sweetest non-combative birds they are "iffy" layers and not worth the feed to have them around and our Breda is still young and in an experimental stage around the Silkies.  In my old age I just want a peaceful backyard and don't want to deal with the drama of LF breeds around the Silkies LOL!

Silkies sound like such a great breed! And I hadn't realized they were good layers or how big the eggs are! I was surprised from pictures because I thought bantams had small eggs lol although, for me, being the pork chop that I am, I don't think it would be enough.. I can eat a couple normal eggs at once, usually like 3 or 4 in scrambled 2 or 3 fried, sometimes less. and since Silkies are smaller that'd be like half a dozen a day LOL it's interesting they're alert too cause i always thought they couldn't see hah they sure seem like a great bird. Maybe i will have to build them a coop and keep them one day

I have been told my little babies have some strange combs with a lot of peas and at the suggestion of another BYC member, I'm gonna post these pics here. My other silkies have flat black combs, no peas. These guys are getting little pink/red combs, they are 4 weeks old. These guys came from a feed store, no idea where they came from.

This guys comb gets pinker every day

Here is a pic without flash so you can see how colorful his comb is, I know it is blurry, sorry!

This is the only one with a flat black comb like my older silkies.

Do i just have really bad quality chicks or something? Does anyone know if this is indicative of gender, or just some weird genetics or what? I know silkies are super hard to sex, so I am really hoping these guys just have a colorful forehead ornament and are not all males haha. Anyone seen this before??

**EDIT** Does anyone in this thread sell silkie hatching eggs? I would absolutely keel over dead to have a splash silkie, and in the spring I would like to hatch some, wanted to start doing my research now so that I am all my ducks in a row when it comes time. I want "REAL" silkies, bearded little floof balls. All the ones I have I think are very poor quality! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Are silkie roosters docile... Can You keep more than one together... Because of silkies small size do the roosters crow quieter
It honestly depends on the rooster . They may need some time to get along, I recommend raising males together from a young age. And silkies are actually the normal size of any other chicken, though the Bantam Silkies are much smaller. Bantams have no "Quiet Crow" Exception though. My Buff Bantam Silkie Rooster has a loud little squeaky crow. Kinda sound like someone stepped on a squeaky toy to the cock-a-doodle-do tempo.

Silkies are known to be docile anyway, but there have been a few instances where silkie males are quite aggressive.

If you want multiple roosters, I recommend rising them around eachother, and with the hens they will breed with (also raised from a young age if possible)

Back
Top Bottom