Chicken Breed Focus - Swedish Flower Hen

Resized_20171013_212154.jpeg
Sugar. She's the shyest of the bunch.
Resized_20171013_212936.jpeg
Cinnamon. Very curious with the softest feathers.
Resized_20171013_212910.jpeg
CC. She has curved center toes on both feet. I got them corrected some but not all the way.

Lol, I was trying to get pictures of my favorites of my layer flocks and my current EE roo and I always catch them moving or only their butts. I love Sugar's pattern. She is so beautiful. I have a chick with curved twos. I hope and pray it's a hen as I don't want to breed it. CC's toes look really good. Thank you so much for taking pictures. I took a couple fresh baby pics today. I use my olive layers eggs as checks against incubator problems and so there a couple of Lavender chicks and solid black chicks that aren't SFH.
IMG_1275.JPG
IMG_1273.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1282.JPG
    IMG_1282.JPG
    342.5 KB · Views: 15
I know what you mean. What types of chickens do you have?

Right now I only have Buff Orpingtons. 6 hens. I did have 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes, and 3 Barred Rocks, but they didn't do as well with confinement as my Orps, so I found them free-range homes. My city doesn't allow free-ranging if you don't have an acre or more, and we have city inspectors constantly casing our neighborhood looking for reasons to fine people. We plan to move out of the city in a couple of years and then I can do some flock expansion.

I'm curious about this breed but have limited space as well. Do you all agree that on avg you get 150 eggs/year? Also, can anyone give an avg. Age that the hens start laying? Has anyone eaten a rooster? I really love the way they look but due to space I need to chose utility over beauty but if this breed is high in both then I'm all in!

I haven’t had them a year yet but I love them. A friendly and curious bird. Not as skittish as others I have. My girls started laying around 5 months old. Regularly giving eggs. Not every day but steady. I have 2 boys. Head cockerel is bigger and meatier then the other. I’d guess around 7 lbs. I don’t plan on eating any so can’t help there.

I am curious about the snow leopard genes, Millie and red genes in swedish flower hens? Anyone know the genes or an article about how to figure what you get if you breed any of the three to each other what you get?
I know that these beautiful birds are land race and want to keep the most genetic diversity without losing colors or flowering.

Back
Top Bottom