Chicken Breed Focus - Wyandotte

These have been on wish list for some time. Love their feathering (any of the colors).

Looking forward to reading other's experiences with this breed.

Thanks for another cool breed focus Sumi!

I choose Wyandottes after I saw a photo of one and did some study of them. I like the fact that they were quieter chickens of medium size. What I discovered that I love the most about them is how clever they are. Truly a great chicken to own.

Here are some pics of my bantam Partridge Wyandotte cockerel, Pip. He really is an amazing cockerel- gentle, calm, friendly and loyal to his girls :) he eats out of my hand, perches on my shoulder and has shown no aggression towards any animal or human.

We have 3 Silver Laced Wyandottes and 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes. The Silver girls does not fly over the run area but one of the Golden Girls did so we had to clip her wing twice many months ago because we have a neighbor that has a dog.

Golden girls both of them are brooders ever since they were about a year old. This year only one was a brooder and I'm thinking it's because we clipped the other one's wing. Their great mothers and they don't like me taking the eggs from her, she is my pal since summer, now she comes to me for treats when I'm in the run.

SLW -- Three different sizes. We have a bad apple among these three the smallest that pecks and goes after another breed ever since 2014. She would not leave the other breed alone, pecks at their head and back and one went to the rainbow bridge because of her. I still have two left of the other breed and she still does the same even after separating her for a month last year. She is very aggressive compared to the other two SLW. GLW protect the other breed from her from time to time and they will go after her to get her away from the other breed. Other two Silvers are fine no aggressiveness at all.

Hubby added these in 2012 and we are still new to the different breeds out there.

What made you decide to get this breed? Hubby decided to add some different colors and breed.

Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose? Right now we have them for fun and entertainment.

Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc! We do not know which girl lays which egg yet even after four years. Some of our eggs are a pale brown almost like a white egg, those have to be one of the Wyandottes I'm guess.

I'll put up the Silver's Later. For now here is one of both GLW.

Left one is molting right now.

I am not sure if he was a Wyandotte, but he was big! I never could tell what breed he was, but gorgeous!

These are 2 of the SLW and GLW I decided to get this spring, they are bigger now and laying... Also, they have turned out to look amazingly fluffy like the pictures of them I see all the time, such a proud mommy right now seeing all my girls looking good, even during their molt!

I think it depends on the individual bird, and also the breeder. My mom has 2 silver laced from mcmurrays and boy are they loud, but my blue laced reds are nearly silent except to occasionally join the egg song when the whole flock is at it. My ladies came from a breeder near me who breeds show birds. Im convinced that it is the particular bloodline that is the reason for the difference. Just like with people, some things are genetic :)

Back
Top Bottom