Chicken breeders or Folks in South Africa?

ok not good, my friend who lost his chickens to chicken cholera says his chickens had the same symptoms you are describing, its a bacterial infection so chances are the guy who sold you the chickens never kept them in a hygienic environment or even inoculated them.  Your roos need to get a course of antibiotics asap and watch your other chickens for the same symptoms.  It takes one infected chicken to wipe out an entire flock the disease can spread through the drinking water.
[/quote

The vet just called me. He says we need to give the chickens antibiotics and stresspack in their water and see what happens. To send a carcass in for investigation cost a lot of money

To get back to the OP; there is a wonderful lady east of Pretoria, selling Potch-Koekoeks, Black Australorps and Rhode Island Reds. Her name is Ingrid, her website is www.hoender.co.za. I highly recommend her chicks and fertile eggs.

Really sorry to hear about the disease outbreak. Hope the treatments work and you can save your flock!! Let us know what happens!

oooh the disease thing worries me. How terrible. I hope its nothing more than chickens being moody and that they all become right as rain asap. I'm sure you are doing everything you can to make sure they dont pass away. Any chance you can coop them up and stop them free ranging so that you can keep an eye on them (and keep them away from any further diseases)?

I've put terramycin, stresspack and kelp powder in their drinking water. Got Boytril (something like that. You know how doctors write!) injections. My husband injected the rooster last night. When I got home I didn't have much home for him surviving the night. He didn't even stand anymore. His tail and head was hanging and the ruffling sound was really bad. He didn't eat anything yesterday. This morning though, he was still kicking. We gave him 20ml meds and force fed him. Half an hour later, he was walking around, eating and drinking by himself, the ruffling sound gone. I can hear it is coming out softly again now. But he is much better. No diarrhea as of yet, so i hope it's a good sign. My other chickens still look healthy, except one pullet that also starts to dose off the whole time. Keeping her under observation in the garage now. My neighbour's chickens are basicly wiped. 2 hens still running around, 1 chick of a week old (i'm trying to give it some meds now) and 2 chickens lying there, close to giving up. Seems like it might not be bird flu at least, but still a kind of dangerous disease, newcastle disease.

Hi All

What a great site

I am looking for 2-3 point of lay hens (or as close to point of lay as possible). My research suggests hi-line hens would be the best egg producers, but when i spoke to them they wanted to sell me 2-3 thousand ?? and everyone i have spoken to since seems to have a similar reaction.

as second prize i would look at rhode island reds or lastly koek koek

can anyone recommend a reliable breeder / raiser that has hi-line varieties? I want to source the hens properly and really want to buy from someone who places a high priority of the living conditions and health of the birds...

I am based in Johannesburg North

thanks in advance

Neil

Last edited:
hi all , it has been a while , hope every thing is going well. @Nadene sorry to hear of your outbreak , that is horrible and must be very stressful, @Jozi Neil not sure about where to get hi lines but there is a place or 2 with RIR and I do Koekoek. not sure which side of Jozi you are.

Some great news , we just got our quail today and they gave us such a good deal that we walked away with a few black australorps as well hehe , just could resist and aussie on the farm needs some friends lol, here are some pics:

hi all , it has been a while , hope every thing is going well. @Nadene sorry to hear of your outbreak , that is horrible and must be very stressful, @Jozi Neil not sure about where to get hi lines but there is a place or 2 with RIR and I do Koekoek. not sure which side of Jozi you are. Some great news , we just got our quail today and they gave us such a good deal that we walked away with a few black australorps as well hehe , just could resist and aussie on the farm needs some friends lol, here are some pics:
Congrats, we might be trading chickens soon
1f60b.png
My first australorp chick did not make the hatch waiting impatiently for the rest to hatch. I will have Silkies for sale soon, the hatch 18 eggs a hen! I'm stuffing australorp eggs under the hens now lol all 5 are broody even the old girls

Back
Top Bottom