Chicken Breeding "Pedigree"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Obsessive, Nov 21, 2009.

1. Obsessive

Obsessive Out Of The Brooder

Oct 31, 2008
    I have heard some poeple who have lots of breeding stock, or who breed constantly, will make chicken "pedigrees" with info of when the chicken was hatched, from what stock, what the intended traits to be bred for, etc. And they will ID the chicken with bands, wing-clips, or toe-punching.

Anyone have anything/methods they use?

Any PDFs someone could post as a "Go-To" reference?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    The book the mating and breeding of poultry is a really good book. I think it had a lot of information on pedigreed breeding. I read it one time and than Master poultry breeders Kelly Klober recomended it to me. He does pedigreed breeding.

3. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    My Serama breeding records:
    [​IMG]

4. Obsessive

Oct 31, 2008
    Great, I will try to get that book!

And thanks for the sample, Kooshie, that was what I was looking for. Just a simple example!
    BTW, love the names, (just don't tell your chickens that they're dumb [​IMG] , you never know, it may affect their self-esteem, therefore decreasing egg production [​IMG] )

Anybody else have examples? The more the merrier! [​IMG]

5. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Quote:Oh dont worry about it decreasing egg production, if you look, ONLY the Males are labeled as dumb. [​IMG]

6. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    I use a software program for my pedigree breeding called Breeders Assistant, which creates pedigree forms that look like this:

[​IMG]

You can find the software here (it is somewhat expensive, but for me it was well worth it):

http://www.tenset.co.uk/

I also keep hand written records of observations I make along the way of course, as well as laying records during hatching season, hatch records, and "inventory" throughout the year.

7. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Lord F. and Lady S. are abbreviations of Lord Firestar and Lady Sandstorm. And don't say their names are dumb, it hurts my feelings. [​IMG]

8. Obsessive

Oct 31, 2008
    NO i really do like the names. I was commenting on their personalities. [​IMG]

9. Princess Amri

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Quote:Oh... duh. I'd forgotten the personality column! Ooopsie. [​IMG]

10. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    there is an online breed record thet i use call BREEDBOOK it also has a genetics calulator in it for color combo's, love it, plus a BYC member is one of the creator/editors so if you have a question you can ask him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by