Chicken Breeding Projects, For 2020!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaTemple

Songster
Aug 27, 2018
Southern Chester County, PA
My continuing mission is a backyard dual purpose heavy I call “PennyRed Giant”. Jersey Giant base, heavy on Marans, also with Rhode Island Red, Brahma, Barred Plymouth Rock, a little Cochin, and eventually some Wyandotte, Delaware, Buff Orpington, Speckled Sussex, and maybe Dark Cornish for some subtle fine-tuning. I really don’t know yet, it’s a long term project. The truth is, I have no idea what I’m doing, but it’s kinda fun that way!:weeMy eventual goal is a Jersey Giant-size dual purpose with excellent meat qualities and a better than average lay rate of jumbo eggs that taste like Marans eggs, maybe even dark colored. Feather color should be various shades and patterns in the red/wheaten/gold range. Friendly and gentle temperament, great personalities. Health, vigor, and life expectancy is #1 priority in these backyard beauties. My chickens are my therapy animals, and although I’m asking a lot from my superchickens, I know they have it in them if I take my time and treat them right. Jesus help me!:love

Edit: Of course, this might take me the rest of my life. I can’t track genetics, it makes my head hurt. Bad.

Last edited:

rascal66

Songster
Sep 10, 2015
Washington
My main breeding project for the year is to cross different heavy-breed chickens until I come up with a nice dual purpose bird that is: a good forager, good layer, good meat bird, interesting feather patterns, and calm mannered.
I'm doing a similar project currently, however its not very focused and I'm working with a bunch of breeds. I have a buff Brahma roo, rir, and eiher new Hampshire or freedom ranger roos over my hens right now. And I'm working with about 8 different hen breeds. My light Brahma before had improved size for sure. I got heavier and larger leghorns and easter eggers. But now I'm more loosely creating a barnyard dual purpose with random colors (which is really exciting for me). Its not the main project I want to do but for production, its one we do to help fit those needs. I do recommend using a good quality Brahma :)

BarefootHomestead33

In the Brooder
Aug 28, 2019
I'm looking forward to my FIRST year breeding ❤
I have salmon Faverolles that I got for my son for 4H and we will be working on getting them to SOP. They aren't bad now but color is a little dark in some and combs have too many points.
I also enjoy mixing my egg production flock and seeing what kinds of babies I get from random mixes. Last year I bred my amberlink rooster to amberlink hens and for 4 babies that all look completely different ❤ This year I'm thinking of mixing my white Leghorns rooster with my amberlink hens since they are my 2 most productive birds
Here's some pictures of my favorite fav rooster and hen

Attachments

Amer

Enabler
Nov 8, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
Mi gallitos!
666556C6-F87A-4295-A7EF-8F0562B7B5F7.jpeg

Quail and blue quail d’Anvers
B389E3EF-4BAB-44AD-B867-638CC8CBA2FE.jpeg

BBS Wyandottes (not my project)
7A85029A-5C7E-46D4-A4E9-2F44274B9712.jpeg

Buckeyes (note that I caved and began using flash. They’re really very sweet and don’t have lazer eyes)
2626F626-0DDF-4F1E-9A19-255D0B2A2101.jpeg

BBS d’Anvers :love
B6E5B003-807C-4CBB-9A03-16B892C32B86.jpeg

Another pen of Buckeyes using a cockerel of a different strain. I’ve heard crossing the strains produces nice offspring.
A0B6F085-467C-4BAF-AC72-2ED39A689E04.jpeg

Cuckoo d’Anvers! (Sadly I had to use a black cockerel because it seems that cuckoo cockerels just can’t deal with the pressure of living on my farm and then just die. @[email protected] )

Last edited:

mandelyn

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 30, 2009
Mt Repose, OH
My Coop
My Coop
So I decided that my project birds will be barred, Walnut combed and bred towards dual purpose type. I have way too many hybrids running around in all manner of colors so it's time to rein that in a bit.
Adding in one other breed, to see what happens in chest fullness. The cross might tank the barring for a generation or more, we'll see. The best birds I have to use also lay Olive eggs, so we'll see if I can keep that going.
I'll have to contend with the appearance of feathered legs, head crests, beards/muffs and various combs trying to sneak through. Hatch and sort, hatch and sort!
This is the main trio I'll be working with.
oebarred3.jpg

oep22.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom