Chicken breeds that lay eggs less frequently but lay longer

Last edited:
okay...sexed at birth? help me understand. I am really new to this.
Sexlinked chicks means they are bred so the female chicks down is a different color than the males. Makes it easy to tell them apart for untrained people. That only works on the first generation of chicks.
I have 2 white hens that are half ISA brown and half RIR. Same body size and laying habits as their mothers but didn't pick up any of the color genes from either parent. Don't really care as once my ISA browns start slacking on laying they going in the freezer and I'm going back to 100% RIR flock.

In 2017 we got 3 leghorns and 3 Isa browns, we only have 1 leghorn left, all the Isa browns and 1 leghorn got sick and died after they were done laying. The other leghorn got killed by a dog. After that experience I want healthy chickens that will lay longer. I am interested in the Andalusians, I also will look into Swedish Flower hens.
I also live in Texas and my brahma does really good in the heat. They are very pretty birds(in my opinion) and moderate layers

I will look into Brahmas, how often and how long do yours lay?
She lays 3-5 eggs a week, she's almost 2, I know another member on here, I believe @speckledhen has brahmas that are up there in years, she could tell you more. This is my Maribel

Attachments

• 20220108_151719.jpg
    20220108_151719.jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211222_160039.jpg
    20211222_160039.jpg
    533.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211117_162357.jpg
    20211117_162357.jpg
    660.1 KB · Views: 3
My hatchery Brahmas laid eggs until pretty old. My Light Brahma died at 5 1/2 and was laying that month she died. The Buff Brahma lived to be almost 10 years old and laid until probably 7-8 years old. I have big breeder quality Partridge and Blue Partridge Brahmas who are 5 1/2 years old now and they have slowed way down in their production; two or three of the six hens were laying about a month ago, then everyone began molting.

Leghorns of any color other than white will lay at a moderate rate, rarely go broody, and be very well suited for your climate. They are somewhat more feed efficient than meatier breeds, too.

Brown is the most commonly available color, but they come in a lot of other colors too.

I have two. One is always the first to check out anything new, the one to recheck everything if there is nothing new, always working at finding new things. The other is nearly as calm as the Australorps.

Attachments

• 04980B78-CCFE-48AD-B51C-93D71FC20148.jpeg
    04980B78-CCFE-48AD-B51C-93D71FC20148.jpeg
    744.4 KB · Views: 3
My hatchery Brahmas laid eggs until pretty old. My Light Brahma died at 5 1/2 and was laying that month she died. The Buff Brahma lived to be almost 10 years old and laid until probably 7-8 years old. I have big breeder quality Partridge and Blue Partridge Brahmas who are 5 1/2 years old now and they have slowed way down in their production; two or three of the six hens were laying about a month ago, then everyone began molting.
Do you sell and ship your Brahmas? I want to get the best chicks I can find for the breeds I want. I will be getting Dominiques and EEs, but I'm still not sure what other breed I want.

Leghorns of any color other than white will lay at a moderate rate, rarely go broody, and be very well suited for your climate. They are somewhat more feed efficient than meatier breeds, too.

Brown is the most commonly available color, but they come in a lot of other colors too.

I have two. One is always the first to check out anything new, the one to recheck everything if there is nothing new, always working at finding new things. The other is nearly as calm as the Australorps.
Are other colored Leghorns any healthier than white Leghorns?

Back
Top Bottom