Chicken Buyers Remorse

Pics
I wouldn't get Australorps again. Though their beetle green iridescence is nice, the attitudes of mine have just been lacking. I don't need my chickens to be super friendly, but I don't want them to be jerks to the other chickens. And the Black Copper Marans I have, though I like them more, tend to be real prone to meat spots in their eggs, and since I sell eggs, that's a problem for me.

I have White Leghorns and while they do tend to look dirty most of the time, they are the smartest, most determined chickens I have. During this polar vortex craziness, they were the only ones to come outside to eat, I had to feed everyone else in the coop because snow is apparently evil (I get it). They have an uncanny knack for grabbing the most protein heavy snack when I'm giving the chickens treats, and though they hate to be chased, they don't mind it when I pick them up...they let me do what needs doing and then they get back to business. Plus, they're the only chicken I've ever seen climb a fence (with the assistance of flapping wings) after I clipped them to keep them from escaping the run...had to completely seal it cause of their ingenuity. But they are from a production line (I wouldn't have bought them on purpose, as I avoid production lines, but they came in an assortment), so I'll probably lose them early...but Major and Minor Clucker have my (and my spouse's, surprisingly...he don't care for chickens) utmost respect for their hustle.

No more Wyandottes for me. I wanted one for the pattern and the rose comb and although my SLW matured fast and started laying a month before any of my other pullets, her eggs are smallish and she's mean. She's friendly with me and I can easily handle her but is definitely #1 hen. Funny story: When I finally introduced my Rooster to the girls he was very submissive, especially at feeding time. After a couple days, (of him being hen-pecked I'm sure) while they were eating she gave him a hard peck right on the noggin. He stepped back and looked at me with a did-you-just-see-that look then went back to eating. About 30 seconds later she tried it again and Rooster let out a war cry and came at her with wings and feet. Needless to say she doesn't pick on him any more. Plus, a friend has a SLW that is way meaner to her flockmates than mine is.

People are putting up lists of chicken breeds they want I wanted to get peoples opinions of breeds they may have been excited about, but now they are over it.

I have 2 blue andelusians. One I like, she is blue. One is a splash. I am not crazy about the splash. I am not going to rehome anyone. but I think I am done with the BA.

I also have AC. They are pretty and I would never give them up. But as far as buying more, I don't think I will. Their eggs are small and they are so busy brooding they have not time for eggs.
View attachment 2532292

My birds are just for pets though.

Which chickens do you think you are no longer interested in and why?
Interesting all of these really varied opinions. Having many different types over a few years leads me away from the exotics or less collected birds. Always had in mind eggs first pets 2nd and not giving them names, but one Orpington is so funny watching her she is now Carol, I don’t care if she does get broody or never lays another egg she is the sweetest girl in the coop. As I add or replace now it will be RIR’s, black sex links or Australorps. Was able to snag a couple of beautiful RIR’s yesterday at the Chattahochee Vally swap meet. Put them in the separation pen, had two eggs before making sure they were settled in the little coop away from last nights 22 degree weather.

Attachments

• 061CF53A-A414-4911-8A37-3F3FD548ACE0.jpeg
    061CF53A-A414-4911-8A37-3F3FD548ACE0.jpeg
    638.9 KB · Views: 11
I wouldn’t get any Orpingtons again. We have one BO left, have had a lavender and another BO and their very fluffy butts make for very poop encrusted butts. We have a SLO, Black Australorp, RIR, a barnyard mix and 2 Cream Legbars. I am most attached the Legbars, they are so pretty and gentle and excellent layers. The SLO and RIR and just bullies.

The feedstore sold me two Americaunas that ended up being generic Easter Eggers and one that looks like a Wyandotte. The EEs are so loud, skittish, and crazy lol. They won't let me near them. One will run around like a nut, the other will peck at me if I get even a foot from her. However, they are pretty decent layers, I'll give them that. The Wyandotte is super sweet and friendly but lays these itty bitty eggs every few days. She is so large so it's funny to see these tiny eggs. Not sure I would do an EE again. I do like my RIR and the Orpington though.

Um, sounds like everyone is making these statements based on very small numbers of birds of those types? Like saying you don't like a specific make/model of car because one had muffler issues... I live in a cold climate, and the Leghorn and Minorca I have are the first ones out in the snow every day (and still lay eggs daily), even though they are not supposed to be cold tolerant. I'm glad I've got exceptions to the "rules".

This may not actually be the case, these folk may all be citing specific examples with lots of data to back up their statements.

We ordered 6 easter eggers on discount, four of which ended up being hens. I was so excited for blue eggs but three ended up laying olive eggs and one laid pinkish brown, lol. They have such nice personalities I love them anyways. They also lay almost every day and one of them always lays jumbo-sized eggs. One of the boys (the one in my profile picture) loves me but runs at and bites everyone else. The other is, well, a chicken. They get along with each other just fine!

I guess I got bored of my barnyard mix and decided to order some rare hatching eggs with the hope of selling as I've seen a lot of richie people out here like fancy lawn ornaments 🤣. While I'm still waiting for the 3 breeds I chose to lay their own eggs for me to incubate and sell ,from my original incubation of the purchased eggs a lot of Sumatras hatched. I've been trying to sell a few almost full grown for a couple months now and have had very little interest.
I personally think the roosters are beautiful and they are shy but not aggressive. But I bought them to make money off of and that hasn't happened.
I hope once my mosaics and copper Marans start laying I'll have better luck with their chicks

I purchased Black Australorps last year & love them. They are excellent layers and are very gentle. I have bought Buff Orphentons, barred rock and golden comets but never again.

I’ve had six leghorn roosters and they all turned out to be raging butt munchers and would all beat up on my BR/RIR rooster who’s the chillest chicken ever. my four pullets are alright, but they are so skittish. they always act like it’s the end of the world when i try to pick them up to check them over. still will eat out of my hand just fine, though. i’ve also been whacked in the head a few times when they decided to jump off the roost to the top of the brooder and I was inconveniently in the way. good layers, though. lay almost everyday but sometimes they throw huge eggs and I’m worried they’re going to end up getting prolapsed.

Back
Top Bottom