Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
@casportpony is right that Ethel is severely underweight; she only weighs approximately 1/2 of what she ideally should. Not only was she by your estimation too weak/unable to move/eat/drink for approx. 4 days, but something caused her to get in that state in the first place.

Do you have any idea how old she is? I have had many hens of her "breed". They are very strong and healthy up to about 3 years of age and lay eggs nearly every day. But eventually the high lay rate takes its toll and they succumb to reproductive problems. If Ethel is 2 years old or less, she is hopefully physically young and strong enough to recover from this ordeal. (But that also partly depends on if she has had adequate care up to this point.) There have been many incredible survivor stories on this forum, and while all of us hope Ethel gains membership to that group, only you are there to determine if she wants you to help her fight to survive, or if there comes a point she needs you to help her go. Chickens are no different from dogs in that way. They let us know.

@casportpony is right that Ethel is severely underweight; she only weighs approximately 1/2 of what she ideally should. Not only was she by your estimation too weak/unable to move/eat/drink for approx. 4 days, but something caused her to get in that state in the first place.

Do you have any idea how old she is? I have had many hens of her "breed". They are very strong and healthy up to about 3 years of age and lay eggs nearly every day. But eventually the high lay rate takes its toll and they succumb to reproductive problems. If Ethel is 2 years old or less, she is hopefully physically young and strong enough to recover from this ordeal. (But that also partly depends on if she has had adequate care up to this point.) There have been many incredible survivor stories on this forum, and while all of us hope Ethel gains membership to that group, only you are there to determine if she wants you to help her fight to survive, or if there comes a point she needs you to help her go. Chickens are no different from dogs in that way. They let us know.
My mom got Ethel about 2 yrs ago and she wasn't a chick but said to have been under a yr old, so she could very well be 3 or close to that.
She had her 2nd feeding today. Still no poop or pee since the fluids last night. Her crop was empty when I gave her the 2nd feeding today. She seems to be getting a bit more talkative (while we are holding and feeding her) and seems to have a little bit more energy.
We also dusted her with the permethrin powder (carefully to avoid her inhaling any). I'm curious if lice and mites tend to infest the sick animals more so than the healthy? I'm asking because my husband checked one of her other hens and didn't find any. I'm sure there are some since they shared a coup but it definitely doesn't appear to be infested like Ethel is.
I guess at this point I am concerned about the lack of poop and pee.
As much as I am hoping for her to recover, I know it may not turn out that way, and if it doesn't , I will let her go.
Any thoughts on how long I should continue this before deciding she isn't going to recover? I know she will tell me, I know that too well from my past dogs and cats, just wondering how long a recovery can take (I do realize it can be different for each hen). 🙏

I'm curious if lice and mites tend to infest the sick animals more so than the healthy? I'm asking because my husband checked one of her other hens and didn't find any. I'm sure there are some since they shared a coup but it definitely doesn't appear to be infested like Ethel is.
Maybe in the sense that a sick chicken isn't dustbathing or moving around as much. Maybe someone else has more input on that question.
Any thoughts on how long I should continue this before deciding she isn't going to recover? I know she will tell me, I know that too well from my past dogs and cats, just wondering how long a recovery can take (I do realize it can be different for each hen). 🙏
That's great that she seems a little more talkative/has a little more energy. However this turns out, she knows you are trying to help her. I think her recovery time will partially depend on what caused her to get in such a dire condition in the first place. The medical experts helping you here may have more input re your question.

Here's a good article on lice. I didn't know it, but there are some forms of lice that bite and suck the chicken's blood. https://wagwalking.com/bird/condition/feather-lice

I do know not all members of a flock will harbor lice, but I don't think it's because they're less healthy. Lice infestation can make a chicken less healthy, though.

Go Ethel!
m1211.gif

Ethel made it through another night. During her first feeding today she seems to be getting stronger. Something I noticed that I hadn't noticed previously are some black spots on her crown. I looked it up and saw some pictures of what is called foul pox and I'm wondering if any of you have any input on that? If so, is there a treatment for it, and what do I need to know about it?

Attachments

• PXL_20230115_182813636.jpg
    PXL_20230115_182813636.jpg
    573.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Screenshot_20230115-133009.png
    Screenshot_20230115-133009.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
Im glad to know Ethel is hanging in there! I haven't dealt with fowl pox so will wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer your question, but the black spots may be peck wounds from other chickens.

Are you seeing any improvement in her ability to stand/use her legs? Are you still giving vitamin E?

Im glad to know Ethel is hanging in there! I haven't dealt with fowl pox so will wait for someone more knowledgeable to answer your question, but the black spots may be peck wounds from other chickens.

Are you seeing any improvement in her ability to stand/use her legs? Are you still giving vitamin E?
I also read where the black spots could be from other chickens pecking her which could have happened when she was down for the days before I was told about her. She has definitely got more energy than she did just a few days ago because she's getting more feisty about opening her mouth. There really isn't much if any improvement in her standing or walking. Her cone is still pretty pale so I'm not sure if that was the anemia from the mites or the starvation dehydration or I don't know what, but I'm watching it closely and monitoring her weight, This evening after her last feeding she was up to 3 lb 2.7 oz. I'm not sure at what point. I will decide that she is as healthy as she's going to get and proceed to the next level of taking her to the vet to be examined for broken bones or fractures or other injuries. She doesn't seem to be in pain anywhere. Other than that one time I ran my fingers down her spine and she squalked towards the end close to her tail. So I'm concerned basically that she got stepped on by a horse and I hope that that's all it is, is just an injury that's going to take time to heal. All of y'all on this site have been an incredible help and even if the time comes that I can't pull her through this, I thank everyone of you that has chimed in because you've all been so helpful. I will continue to update until we know she's out of the woods or going to Chicken heaven.

Attachments

• PXL_20230114_031845246.jpg
    PXL_20230114_031845246.jpg
    353.2 KB · Views: 49

I'm not giving her just straight vitamin e but she's getting the nutri drench. If I need to get her some additional vitamin e I can do that tomorrow or actually today if she needs more than what is in the nutri drench that she's getting.

Back
Top Bottom