Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
So my husband picked up a bag of meal/grub worms (a huge bag, lol). My plan was to just put about 10 in her bowl so we could count how many were left if she ate any, however I forgot to tell my husband that, so he filled her bowl full. She emptied half the bowl, but she put them in her water dish 🤔. Any thoughts on that?
Maybe she thought they looked parched and thirsty and offered them a drink of her water?🤔😄 Though it may sometimes be hard to figure out what a chicken is thinking, I guarrantee you that Ethel had an agenda!

Seriously re the mealworms, has she eaten them or anything else on her own? Even though she can't stand up, do you think she has gained more ability to move/kick her legs? Depending on how much she can use her legs, she might Really enjoy the opportunity to dust bathe. (Chickens need to use their feet to dust bathe properly.) If Ethel was mine, as long your ground is dry and not frozen, I would plop her in a dirt hole and let her try.

We have got her a new setup to keep her comfortable. The towel was working ok but she still got poop on her underside, so hopefully this will help. If anyone has any thoughts on this (pictured below), I am open to any suggestions. Are her feet/legs too close to the ground, need to be hanging more? We can tilt it back some or put something under it to raise it up. I was going to cut a towel for a sling but then my husband came in with this baby bouncy. We might even put batteries in it and see if the music will play for her. 🙂 Probably won't try the vibrate function, that might be too much. Lol
In Ethel's specific case, since her feet/legs aren't injured (that you know of), I think it would be good if her feet are actually touching the ground. If she can feel the ground, she may try to use her legs more. I also think that giving her music to listen to, whether emitting from her new fancy baby bouncy or a radio, will help keep her mentally stimulated.

I'm so afraid if she's misdiagnosed I'll put her down and do a necropsy only to find out it was something we could've fixed. 😓
There is a live test for Mareks if you wanted to go that route before euthanizing for necropsy.
I have also added some pics of an area I felt today that is very hard. I'm afraid it is a tumor? I read the post from Mrskenmore about her chicken that had a tumor. What I'm feeling is pretty much between her legs in front of her vent. (Also pictured below)
I do have holes cut in the bouncy for her legs and her vent.
However, this is another red flag pointing to the possibility that Ethel's days with you may be numbered. Her "breed" is very prone to various reproductive issues, which often show up by the time a hen reaches age 2-3. Ethel's hard abdomen may signify infection. Antibiotics can be administered to combat infection, but whatever is causing her inability to stand and walk, whether Marek's, getting stepped on by a horse, a tumor pressing on a nerve or some other reason, Ethel may be facing multiple issues that prove impossible to overcome. The very best you could do when you found her was get her stabilized, and you have done an exemplary job. Even more impressive is the fact that you joined BYC exactly two weeks ago today specifically seeking advice to help Ethel. In these 2 weeks since, you have gained more knowledge and done more to help her than many poultry keepers with years of experience. (Oh, and BTW your husband's help and support is awesome too!)

One last thing, do you think she is strong enough to have a Epsom salt bath? I want to get her underside cleaned off some.
At this point I wouldn't think it would hurt to soak her bum in warm water to clean her up back there. But i will tag @azygous @Wyorp Rock @TwoCrows to verify, and so they can also address your other questions and concerns in your post #100 earlier today.

IF we end up loosing her, we'll have a necropsy done to confirm or rule it out. Praying it doesn't come to that, I've gotten quite attached to her sweet little self.
P.s. The various red sexlink varieties are a perfect combination of sweet and feisty. (They are also very smart.) Even in Ethel's current condition, it seems you have already recognized that!

I wish I had good advice for you, I am so sorry your girl is struggling. :hugs

I had a hen that had a stroke and was paralyzed from the hips down. She would fall over if she wasn't supported with towels all around her. I kept her in this tub and other than her not being able to walk, she had a huge appetite, got excited to go out with the flock while free ranging, she would get so excited for treats she'd nearly fall out of her tub,
she did well for quite some time. Of course the big momma of strokes took her eventually.

IMG_20160312_102026.jpg

You've done a stellar job of taking care of this charming girl. Know that she does realize what you are doing for her, if just a version in her own little chicken mind. You and she have a bond now, and as long as she's with you, it will continue to grow.

That she is able to move her legs and feet is an encouraging sign that perhaps this is a leg strength issue or temporary nerve damage that has inflicted partial paralysis. I would suggest starting her on daily B-complex if you haven't been doing it already. This can repair damaged nerve connections over four to six weeks. I would get the B-100 complex as that has 100mg of each B-vitamin. It's water soluble so no immediate danger of overdosing.

If she isn't laying, she doesn't need the calcium. If she's trying to lay, you would know it. She would be vocal and very restless. If an egg were stuck, she would be greatly stressed and her poop would be very watery and smelly, and she would not want to eat or do much of anything.

By all means give her a soak and get her cleaned up. I use baby body wash as it rinses out easily. Blow dry. Chickens adore it. The baby bouncer is a terrific idea. Do you have three holes, two for the legs and one for poop? If not, you might try women's menstrual pads to soak up poop and fluids to help keep her underside cleaner longer.

Maybe she thought they looked parched and thirsty and offered them a drink of her water?🤔😄 Though it may sometimes be hard to figure out what a chicken is thinking, I guarrantee you that Ethel had an agenda!

Seriously re the mealworms, has she eaten them or anything else on her own? Even though she can't stand up, do you think she has gained more ability to move/kick her legs? Depending on how much she can use her legs, she might Really enjoy the opportunity to dust bathe. (Chickens need to use their feet to dust bathe properly.) If Ethel was mine, as long your ground is dry and not frozen, I would plop her in a dirt hole and let her try.

In Ethel's specific case, since her feet/legs aren't injured (that you know of), I think it would be good if her feet are actually touching the ground. If she can feel the ground, she may try to use her legs more. I also think that giving her music to listen to, whether emitting from her new fancy baby bouncy or a radio, will help keep her mentally stimulated.

There is a live test for Mareks if you wanted to go that route before euthanizing for necropsy.

However, this is another red flag pointing to the possibility that Ethel's days with you may be numbered. Her "breed" is very prone to various reproductive issues, which often show up by the time a hen reaches age 2-3. Ethel's hard abdomen may signify infection. Antibiotics can be administered to combat infection, but whatever is causing her inability to stand and walk, whether Marek's, getting stepped on by a horse, a tumor pressing on a nerve or some other reason, Ethel may be facing multiple issues that prove impossible to overcome. The very best you could do when you found her was get her stabilized, and you have done an exemplary job. Even more impressive is the fact that you joined BYC exactly two weeks ago today specifically seeking advice to help Ethel. In these 2 weeks since, you have gained more knowledge and done more to help her than many poultry keepers with years of experience. (Oh, and BTW your husband's help and support is awesome too!)

At this point I wouldn't think it would hurt to soak her bum in warm water to clean her up back there. But i will tag @azygous @Wyorp Rock @TwoCrows to verify, and so they can also address your other questions and concerns in your post #100 earlier today.
Okay so I will try the dust bath. If the ground is frozen I will bring it in the house, mix it all up and dry it out and put it back out for her and see how she does.
My vet did not mention anything about a live test but I will most certainly ask that question when I take her in on February 6th.
I will watch for any posts from the ones you tagged about the Epsom salt bath to see if that can clean up her underside and maybe make her feel a little better. I will tell dry and blow dry. Her is best as I can to keep her comfortable.
And my husband, he is the total sap when it comes to animals of any kind. If it was up to him, we'd have 100 instead of the eight dogs. 13 cats and five goats.

Due to the fact your ground may be frozen, it might be easier for you to buy a sack of play sand and dump it into an appropriate Ethel-sized shallow tub for her to use. The sand definitely needs to be soft.

Did you see azygous's reply in post #104? She addressed your bath for Ethel question, and your other questions too.

You've done a stellar job of taking care of this charming girl. Know that she does realize what you are doing for her, if just a version in her own little chicken mind. You and she have a bond now, and as long as she's with you, it will continue to grow.

That she is able to move her legs and feet is an encouraging sign that perhaps this is a leg strength issue or temporary nerve damage that has inflicted partial paralysis. I would suggest starting her on daily B-complex if you haven't been doing it already. This can repair damaged nerve connections over four to six weeks. I would get the B-100 complex as that has 100mg of each B-vitamin. It's water soluble so no immediate danger of overdosing.

If she isn't laying, she doesn't need the calcium. If she's trying to lay, you would know it. She would be vocal and very restless. If an egg were stuck, she would be greatly stressed and her poop would be very watery and smelly, and she would not want to eat or do much of anything.

By all means give her a soak and get her cleaned up. I use baby body wash as it rinses out easily. Blow dry. Chickens adore it. The baby bouncer is a terrific idea. Do you have three holes, two for the legs and one for poop? If not, you might try women's menstrual pads to soak up poop and fluids to help keep her underside cleaner longer.
I'll get her the B100 complex and get her started on that tomorrow. Do I just give her one per day or one at each feeding? I'm pretty sure she is an eggbound but the vet did say something about a something egg. I can't remember what she said at the moment

By all means give her a soak and get her cleaned up. I use baby body wash as it rinses out easily. Blow dry. Chickens adore it. The baby bouncer is a terrific idea. Do you have three holes, two for the legs and one for poop? If not, you might try women's menstrual pads to soak up poop and fluids to help keep her underside cleaner

I will definitely get her started on that b100 complex. And should I give that once a day or at each feeding? And as far as the bath using baby body wash, should I also put some Epsom salt in it or just use the baby body wash? I want to get all this done ASAP in hopes of making her feel better.

I'll get her the B100 complex and get her started on that tomorrow. Do I just give her one per day or one at each feeding? I'm pretty sure she is an eggbound but the vet did say something about a something egg. I can't remember what she said at the moment

I will definitely get her started on that b100 complex. And should I give that once a day or at each feeding? And as far as the bath using baby body wash, should I also put some Epsom salt in it or just use the baby body wash? I want to get all this done ASAP in hopes of making her feel better.
The pictures I posted below are a b complex vitamin. Does this look sufficient or does it have too much stuff in it?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230126-002053.png
    Screenshot_20230126-002053.png
    650.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230126-002139.png
    Screenshot_20230126-002139.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom