Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
Correct, from my understanding if you have a bird with lymphoid leukosis and hatch out a bird it is passed to the chick so the chick is born with it. With Mareks the bird isn’t born with it but it contracts the disease from birds dander so even thought right now I have no symptomatic birds all my birds are carriers and are actively shedding the virus. If I were to let a broody hatch chicks as soon as they are born they will be exposed to the virus at thy point. If I were to incubate eggs and hatch them I could possibly still infect the chicks by having dander on me from my flock.

I actually had a broody sitting on eggs when I got my symptomatic bird and did the testing. Right now those chicks are still doing well and are now 5 weeks old. Hopefully they will be resistant to it but even if they are they will still be carriers of the virus. I will never be able to sell or give away any birds as long as I have birds here. The only way for that to happen would either be me cull all my birds and wait a couple years before I get any more or let my birds die out naturally and then wait a couple years before getting more. I have decided I’m going to try to breed for resistance as not all birds will succumb to the disease, so if I breed my survivors they should pass some of that immunity on to their chicks.

It’s been a heartbreaking ordeal and I’ve learned alot in a short amount of time. As far as leukosis goes I know @azygous has it in her flock so she can shed some light on it and correct me if I’m wrong regarding it.
Great information. Thank you very much

I have finally found the time to get this form filled out to order the tests for Ethel from the lab in Texas. I found Marek's on the form but I'm not finding the lymphoid leukosis test. I've attached to copy of the order form. If someone doesn't mind to look at it and tell me if I'm overlooking it because I don't see it on there, maybe it's called something different?

@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Wyorp Rock
@Bkaye
@mrskenmore

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230317-120140.png
    Screenshot_20230317-120140.png
    306 KB · Views: 15
I have finally found the time to get this form filled out to order the tests for Ethel from the lab in Texas. I found Marek's on the form but I'm not finding the lymphoid leukosis test. I've attached to copy of the order form. If someone doesn't mind to look at it and tell me if I'm overlooking it because I don't see it on there, maybe it's called something different?

@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Wyorp Rock
@Bkaye
@mrskenmore
You need to write it in as 'other' - if you talk to them by phone they will explain that it is an RNA virus and so the sample needs to be fresh - i.e. get to them overnight.
That can get quite expensive even though it is just a tiny swab you are sending. Ideal timing is to take the swab and run to UPS store to make their overnight delivery before 10am the following morning. Then the lab will test it immediately on that day.
The DNA viruses can be kept for days without affecting the test.

@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@Wyorp Rock
@Bkaye
@mrskenmore
Did they send a form in the box with the test supplies? The form I recieved in the box had a box for avian luekosis but the one listed online did not. It was listed under RNA on the form they sent it. The luekosis test was 25 since it was rna.

I have attached a copy of the results.
A8F4E630-C112-42F0-9032-D93023FFBCFD.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom