Chicken can't stand or walk, paralyzed??

Pics
@Allsfairinloveandbugs
@mrskenmore
@azygous
@Wyorp Rock
So we got up this morning and found this in Ethel's night cage. What on earth is this??? She is still acting perfectly normal, eating and drinking. I really don't think it had anything to do with anything she ate because her diet is the same as it has been with the exception yesterday she had some fruits which included pineapple, watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe in a few blueberries.
So now I am about in tears after reading more on what this could be and finding articles about lash eggs and salpingitis. With all this baby girl has been through and how much she has recovered, I'm going to be devastated if this turns out poorly. I knew it was possible when we started this, but I really wasn't expecting it to end this soon.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/j9GNsrbhoJW28Qa58

Attachments

• PXL_20230328_153552186.jpg
    PXL_20230328_153552186.jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230328_153607198.jpg
    PXL_20230328_153607198.jpg
    515 KB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20230328_153615982.jpg
    PXL_20230328_153615982.jpg
    460.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
That is salpingitis pus, also known as lash material. It indicates infection of the oviduct that is likely well underway and will be resistant to treatment with an antibiotic. Unfortunately.
Any thoughts on how much more time we might have with her and what I need to be looking for to know when her time is up?

Whenever I've home-necropsied an ISA Brown, i've always found salpingtitis inside the deceased hen. Some of the "lash eggs" were gigantic and some were much smaller. I had wondered if that hard mass you and your vet felt in Ethel's abdomen could be salpingitis infection. Unfortunately, Ethel was destined for a shorter than average chicken lifespan from the moment the egg she hatched from was placed into an incubator. The article below mentions hormone implants, and I know someone who has a duck with implants, @Aunt Angus . MAYBE she can offer you some hope; idk.
Here is an excellent article that will help give you understanding and guidance.
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

Our dear little Ethel may live out her normal life span with few issues, or these pus plugs could cause blockages that could cause a crisis if an egg tries to navigate the oviduct and gets stuck.

Stopping ovulation as @Allsfairinloveandbugs suggested is one way to prolong her life and minimalize problems. But it will be expensive.

Without intervention she may have another year, but no one can predict what will happen. Some hens live half their adult life with salpingitis with little apparent issues other than egg laying may stop, which would be in Ethel's favor.

I'd be inclined to support her passively to maximize her quality of life, and when things get rough for her, ease her out of any suffering.

We will do or try anything we can if there is any chance of saving her!!!!!! Just tell me what to do.
Have you been in touch with your vet since Ethel's initial visit? From the video you posted after that visit, he seemed like an excellent vet, but he will need to be able and willing to do the implants if you decide to go that route. There is no guarantee they will extend Ethel's life and she may not even be a good candidate, but I know by now that you 100% mean it when you say you "will do or try" anything if there is any chance of saving" Ethel's life. Deslorelin is the generic name of the implants. Research "hormone implants for poultry" and you will find information.

Our dear little Ethel may live out her normal life span with few issues, or these pus plugs could cause blockages that could cause a crisis if an egg tries to navigate the oviduct and gets stuck.

Stopping ovulation as @Allsfairinloveandbugs suggested is one way to prolong her life and minimalize problems. But it will be expensive.

Without intervention she may have another year, but no one can predict what will happen. Some hens live half their adult life with salpingitis with little apparent issues other than egg laying may stop, which would be in Ethel's favor.
I'd be inclined to support her passively to maximize her quality of life, and when things get rough for her, ease her out of any suffering.
I agree.

I am sorry that Ethel laid a lash egg. I do not have any experience with that but I do have experience with implants. My black sex link Jolene had EYP or internal laying. I had put her on the implant but it was too late and she didn't recover. As sad as it was she died with us in her coop the way she wanted to go. I did help another BYC friend with advice on implants and her hen Mocha lived to the ripe age of six! So a much more successful situation. Please read this post for further information.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/conversations/implant-for-eyp.1196946/

Back
Top Bottom