Chicken cant stand

Trashman219

Hatching
Oct 25, 2019
I got home from work this morning to find one of my hens laying on the floor of her pen,I thought she was taking a dust bath so I didnt think much of it.i came out 2 hours later and she was still in the same spot.when I tried to pick her up she flopped around and fell over.she had one leg warm and one ice cold and her comb was chilled,it was in the upper 40's last night.i brought her in to warm her up and now all of her extremities are warm and even temp. She is very alert,eating and drinking and seems normal other than she cant stand.if you stand her up she sits back on her butt and if she tries to walk she stumbles and loses her balance. Her wings are working normal,eyes are clear,comb is normal color and standing up.shes an isa brown,not sure of age.ive had her about 6 months and she was laying when I got her.she was perfectly fine when I put her up around 8 pm last night I found her around 8 am this morning. Any help is greatly appreciated

Do you know her age? It could be a number of things that might be causing her lameness. She could be egg bound or have a large mass that is pressing on her sciatic nerves. An internal infection could also cause this. You can insert a clean finger into her vent 1-2 inches to feel for an egg or obstruction. Have you added any new birds to your flock recently? Was she vaccinated for Mareks disease? Do you have a rooster who could have hurt her back?

I have a hen who could not walk without falling backward or to the side for about 5 weeks last year. I suspected an internal infection or internal laying. She spent 5 weeks in a basket with beeding, and I had to offer water and wet feed, egg, tuna, or canned catfood since she could barely stand.

She should be kept separated in a dog crate or pen with her own food and water within reach. Other wise she probably will become attacked or pecked badly by the other chickens. She would probably be more comfortable if her cage is within site of the other chickens if possible.

I second the egg bound issue, I've had this happened to one of my hens a while ago, (Eggcessive might remember!)
One morning I found her being unable to stand, and hardly able to move her feet and legs. She later pooped an egg, but I had to keep her in a crate by herself for over a week.
I offered her Rooster Booster vitamins (B12, Riboflavin and thiamine, etc) and gave her a bit of a high protein chicken feed with occasional layer (all I had on hand). She would eventually start to hobble around, but she took a while to recover. She was young too, but will be approaching a year old soon. I do strongly believe the eggbinding caused her issue. With patience and time, and close monitoring, she recovered and started laying eggs and walking normally again. I'd link my thread if I new how to on mobile.

I actually had a 2nd hen with similar symptoms a couple weeks ago, with a minor egg bound issue. But she recovered very quickly, about 2 days she was normal and laying again. She would hardly walk and sit on her... I forget the term, but sit on her hocks? Give them some time.

I do suggest to do what eggcessive already said. Put her in a quiet place away from others. Offer her vitamins that contain B12, riboflavin etc, and just keep an eye on her. I think this could be the best thing you could do for her for now as you watch how she is throughout the days.

Otherwise, other things she 'could' have would be worse, such as Mareks... But im hopeful the best thing it could be is a case of egg binding.

I dont know her exact age,probably around 18 months. No new birds,She free ranges with my other hens and 1 rooster during the day but is in a separate coop at lockdown. She was fine when I put her up last night.ive got her separated and I'm giving her probiotics and shes eating mealworms and crumbles drinking fine.shes doing what you describe as she sits back on her butt or hocks as you say.i looked at her vent and all looked normal,I felt around her abdominal area and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm going to try a warm Epsom salt soak and see if that helps her pass the egg if that's the problem. Thanks for the input,hopefully she pulls through

I also should mention that even though shes an isa shes about the size of one of my bantams,smaller than all of my others but she lays regular size eggs,could that contribute to egg binding? I've always had ducks,fairly new to chickens so I'm not super familiar with all of their intricacies

I also should mention that even though shes an isa shes about the size of one of my bantams,smaller than all of my others but she lays regular size eggs,could that contribute to egg binding? I've always had ducks,fairly new to chickens so I'm not super familiar with all of their intricacies
I'm not very sure if size could contribute to egg binding... Just make sure you provide your hens layer chicken feed, and that calcium alone should be enough if they're eating well. I suspect that it may not even be feed related- sometimes hens make mishap eggs. My eggs are pretty decent, and every now and then I get odd or mishap eggs. Or in this case, end up with a young hen with an odd case of egg binding.

I dont know her exact age,probably around 18 months. No new birds,She free ranges with my other hens and 1 rooster during the day but is in a separate coop at lockdown. She was fine when I put her up last night.ive got her separated and I'm giving her probiotics and shes eating mealworms and crumbles drinking fine.shes doing what you describe as she sits back on her butt or hocks as you say.i looked at her vent and all looked normal,I felt around her abdominal area and didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. I'm going to try a warm Epsom salt soak and see if that helps her pass the egg if that's the problem. Thanks for the input,hopefully she pulls through
That sounds like a safe course of action. Just give her a little time. If you have any vitamins that contain the vitamin B12's, Thiamine and Riboflavin, I recommend you offer her some of that as well, if you can. I know that tractor supply carries poultry nutridrench, rooster booster probiotic and vitamin powder and probably a few other options. I have the rooster booster on hand, and was what I have used in the past. Not 100% sure if it made much of a difference, but it shouldn't hurt regardless.

I'd love to hear how she's doing now?

Update : she passed an egg so that is good but she is still having difficulty .I'm giving her probiotics and i bought some poultry vitamins as well. She has a healthy appetite and is drinking and going to the bathroom like normal. I'm keeping her separated from the flock but took her outside today for some fresh air. Shes up and walking around the yard but it is slow and unsteady but getting better.before she couldn't even stand so I'm hoping it was just a slight injury or illness,main thing is she is improving ,thanks

Update : she passed an egg so that is good but she is still having difficulty .I'm giving her probiotics and i bought some poultry vitamins as well. She has a healthy appetite and is drinking and going to the bathroom like normal. I'm keeping her separated from the flock but took her outside today for some fresh air. Shes up and walking around the yard but it is slow and unsteady but getting better.before she couldn't even stand so I'm hoping it was just a slight injury or illness,main thing is she is improving ,thanks
Hello! Did this hen ever improve?

Back
Top Bottom