Chicken "colds"

TheChickenTender

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
8
12
11
We recently bought 2 new hens (both approximately 5 months old) from a reputable dealer from whom we've bought birds before. On the way home though, both birds were sneezing. I have kept them quarantined from my flock for over a week and the sneezing is much better. I've been treating with apple cider vinegar in their water, echinacea, oregano, and some intermittent VetRX by mouth. Their eyes are totally clear and they act and eat just fine. There's just that periodic sneezing....
So my question is, do I need to continue to keep them quarantined from my flock until the sneezing has totally resolved?
And, if yes, does anyone have any idea how long this could last?
Thanks!!!
 

slordaz

hatchaholic
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
3,456
6,394
602
Idaho
quarentine is min 2 weeks , best is a month. I bought some pullets from reputable guy I have bought from before,and was going thank heavens I did, they had worm overload and with new place got coccidosis, so by time they were done being treated they were able to be out with the flock with out giving them issues
 

TheChickenTender

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
8
12
11
quarentine is min 2 weeks , best is a month. I bought some pullets from reputable guy I have bought from before,and was going thank heavens I did, they had worm overload and with new place got coccidosis, so by time they were done being treated they were able to be out with the flock with out giving them issues
I've been giving them medicated chick starter
Please do keep them separate or all your birds will I would encourage you to order
or pickup a antibiotic to add
Thanks! Any suggestion on which antibiotic I should get?
 

slordaz

hatchaholic
5 Years
Apr 15, 2015
3,456
6,394
602
Idaho
not sure on antibiotic, it could be just something bothering them in the dust or it may contain mold spores, occasionally they have allergies, but most cold and respiratory are viral and antibiotics wouldn't help that only secondary infections if they develop them. Tagging someone that would know bettter
@Wyorp Rock
@oldhenlikesdogs
 

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
39,509
56,387
1,342
Southern N.C. Mountains
We recently bought 2 new hens (both approximately 5 months old) from a reputable dealer from whom we've bought birds before. On the way home though, both birds were sneezing. I have kept them quarantined from my flock for over a week and the sneezing is much better. I've been treating with apple cider vinegar in their water, echinacea, oregano, and some intermittent VetRX by mouth. Their eyes are totally clear and they act and eat just fine. There's just that periodic sneezing....
So my question is, do I need to continue to keep them quarantined from my flock until the sneezing has totally resolved?
And, if yes, does anyone have any idea how long this could last?
Thanks!!!

I've been giving them medicated chick starter
Thanks! Any suggestion on which antibiotic I should get?
Where are you located in the world?

I do agree, it would be best to have some testing to find out if the sneezing is respiratory disease. If it's respiratory disease, then you can read up on the specific one and make a decision on what to do.

There's a few things you can do if you don't want to get testing.
Just add the newbies, take the risk and hope your existing birds don't get sick - keep your flock closed and treat symptoms if anyone does get sick.

You can add 1 of your existing hens to the quarantined group and wait to see if she becomes ill (a canary). If she does, then it's highly likely it's respiratory disease - then you have a decision to make - treat, cull, or add all to your flock and see who else gets sick - treat symptoms as they arise with an understanding that your flock needs to be closed and all birds are carriers.

Cull the new birds is an option too - a lot depends on how you view things.

Sneezing alone....I would not treat with antibiotics. Could be Infectious Bronchitis which is a virus and antibiotics won't treat that unless there's a secondary infection. IB has to run it's course and can make birds carriers for up to a year. It is spread like any other respiratory illness and can have long term effects on production, egg quality, can be damaging to the reproductive system, etc. (like most respiratory illnesses).

Zoologix does testing as well as your state lab if you are in the US.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
 

TheChickenTender

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
8
12
11
Where are you located in the world?

I do agree, it would be best to have some testing to find out if the sneezing is respiratory disease. If it's respiratory disease, then you can read up on the specific one and make a decision on what to do.

There's a few things you can do if you don't want to get testing.
Just add the newbies, take the risk and hope your existing birds don't get sick - keep your flock closed and treat symptoms if anyone does get sick.

You can add 1 of your existing hens to the quarantined group and wait to see if she becomes ill (a canary). If she does, then it's highly likely it's respiratory disease - then you have a decision to make - treat, cull, or add all to your flock and see who else gets sick - treat symptoms as they arise with an understanding that your flock needs to be closed and all birds are carriers.

Cull the new birds is an option too - a lot depends on how you view things.

Sneezing alone....I would not treat with antibiotics. Could be Infectious Bronchitis which is a virus and antibiotics won't treat that unless there's a secondary infection. IB has to run it's course and can make birds carriers for up to a year. It is spread like any other respiratory illness and can have long term effects on production, egg quality, can be damaging to the reproductive system, etc. (like most respiratory illnesses).

Zoologix does testing as well as your state lab if you are in the US.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044
Thank you so much!! This is all really helpful and I appreciate the different perspective options. I questioned the antibiotics mostly because I do believe that it's viral and I don't see any evidence of a secondary bacterial infection. I may look into the testing simply because I have a very healthy flock and I would hate to compromise all of themif this could be a long-standing chronic illness.
 

Wyorp Rock

🐓 ❤ 🐛
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Sep 20, 2015
39,509
56,387
1,342
Southern N.C. Mountains
Thank you so much!! This is all really helpful and I appreciate the different perspective options. I questioned the antibiotics mostly because I do believe that it's viral and I don't see any evidence of a secondary bacterial infection. I may look into the testing simply because I have a very healthy flock and I would hate to compromise all of themif this could be a long-standing chronic illness.
I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this!
I hope you are able to get some testing. What state are you in? Some state labs are very reasonable and much cheaper than the independent lab (depends on state). I think Zoologix is $95 for respiratory panel testing - that includes testing for several respiratory diseases.
 

TheChickenTender

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2018
8
12
11
I'm really sorry that you are having to deal with this!
I hope you are able to get some testing. What state are you in? Some state labs are very reasonable and much cheaper than the independent lab (depends on state). I think Zoologix is $95 for respiratory panel testing - that includes testing for several respiratory diseases.
We live in Missouri but are near the Kansas border so either state would work. I'll look into MO first and see what they charge.
 

MANNA-PRO

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom