Chicken coop flooring

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickens r life, Feb 15, 2016.

1. chickens r life

chickens r life Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    My coop has has 2x6 wood flooring with small gaps inbetween them. That being said, I want to get new flooring that I can just lay over the old. My coop is raised about 8 inches off the ground.

Thx,
    Clark

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    If it were me, I'd put a layer of 1/2" plywood over the boards to cover the cracks, and then put a coating of Blackjack 57 on the plywood.

3. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Either marine-grade ply, or masonite sheeting would do the trick. Is there anything wrong with the floorboards, or are you just looking to keep them clean? If the latter, you could also just use some lino.

4. KJ6485

KJ6485 Chillin' With My Peeps

How about Glassboard (FRP panel) That seems to be what the local coop builders are all using in their coops, it is waterproof and easy to clean and it has texture in it so its not slick for the chickens.

5. chickens r life

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    The 2x4s would be fine, but the pine shavings and chicken food always falls through the gaps and makes a mess.

6. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I'd just put some lino down. Easy to clean, easy to remove, easy to replace if/when you need to.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    a lot of folks use linoleum but, put deep shaving etc over it, so the birds don't slip and slide. It provides a good surface that can stand up to bleaching or mite/lice sprays.

8. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

Yes, you put the normal "stuff" over the top. It will cover over those gaps in the floorboards and the bedding won't fall through any more.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'd do the lino also. Make it so you can pull it out to dump the poop and it should make cleaning easy peasy.

10. chickens r life

Apr 13, 2015
    The Golden State
    is it a slippery surface? I would hate for one of my hens to jump of the roost and hurt herself (one hen is currently recovering from bumble foot).

-Clark

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by