Chicken Coop / Sheds For Canadian Winter

What would you do it to improve ventilation and stop moisture buildup?

1. Remove at least the roof insulation.
  2. Raise the roof in some clever way and install 1/2" hardware cloth over the openings.
    • There is a formula for vent sq inches per bird, @aart will know it

1. Remove at least the roof insulation.
  2. Raise the roof in some clever way and install 1/2" hardware cloth over the openings.
    • There is a formula for vent sq inches per bird, @aart will know it

Being that it is a kit I doubt I could raise the roof. What if I removed the plastic from the two front windows and back window and replaced that with hardware cloth? Wouldn't that just add draft though?

A plastic shed can be augmented to raise the roof; one builds either an internal or exterior wooden frame. The lady across the lake from me has done it I could send pictures.

Again there is a formulae for how much ventilation is required.

You need to keep the birds out of any moving air especially in the winter.

A plastic shed can be augmented to raise the roof; one builds either an internal or exterior wooden frame. The lady across the lake from me has done it I could send pictures.

Again there is a formulae for how much ventilation is required.

You need to keep the birds out of any moving air especially in the winter.

So opening those windows wouldn't work then. Hmmm.

I would very much appreciate those pictures. I'm also not very handy so I'm not sure I could do it. But would need to see what would be involved.

I don't go by any hard numbers for ventilation,
they don't always fit a coop or climate or specific site.

I would very much appreciate those pictures.
I would too!

Prefab sheds can be hard to ventilate with no roof overhangs it's hard to protect the ventilation from the weather.

Please note I was not recommending modifying just responding to the @Countrymanfowl question.

This pre-fab shed previously collapsed from snow load, picture shows the new roof. The shed is locked so could not get inside pictures, I saw inside inside last summer and recall six vertical posts with three triangular trusses tied together with strapping end to end then sheet metal roof panels with OSB sheets for gable ends and the new door.
. Modified Pre-Fab Shed 001.JPG Modified Pre-Fab Shed 002.JPG Modified Pre-Fab Shed 003.JPG Modified Pre-Fab Shed 004.JPG

Last edited:
Here's my HO. Build an exterior frame to hold a new sturdier existing roof that is more sloped and overhangs the original vents. I had a shed similar to that at my last house and I was outside knocking the snow off the roof every time we got more than 12 inches of snow. It really didn't hold up that well in Massachusetts winters, so I can't imagine it would fare much better further north. If it were me, I would cover the outside frame with wood boards or siding and build your roosts and nest boxes inside the plastic interior. The plastic walls and floors will be easier to clean and the airspace between the outer plastic wall and the exterior wood would act as an insulator. This would be way less expensive than a new build. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Back
Top Bottom