Chicken Coop / Sheds For Canadian Winter

Here's my HO. Build an exterior frame to hold a new sturdier existing roof that is more sloped and overhangs the original vents. I had a shed similar to that at my last house and I was outside knocking the snow off the roof every time we got more than 12 inches of snow. It really didn't hold up that well in Massachusetts winters, so I can't imagine it would fare much better further north. If it were me, I would cover the outside frame with wood boards or siding and build your roosts and nest boxes inside the plastic interior. The plastic walls and floors will be easier to clean and the airspace between the outer plastic wall and the exterior wood would act as an insulator. This would be way less expensive than a new build. Good luck with whatever you decide.

The past winter was the worst in decades. Normally snow on a steep steel roof such as the one shown will come off multiple times on it's own. This past winter the snow slid off only once toward the end, we had at least 3 feet of snow accumulated and this shed came through that just fine.

I agree pre-fab sheds are prone to collapse under snow load, this one did. However they can be modified to avoid this issue if an inexpensive re-use is the path chosen. That was the only point I wanted to make.

Last edited:
The past winter was the worst in decades. Normally snow on a steep steel roof such as the one shown will come off multiple times on it's own. This past winter the snow slid off only once toward the end, we had at least 3 feet of snow accumulated and this shed came through that just fine.

I agree pre-fab shed are prone to collapse under snow load, this one did. However they can be modified to avoid this issue if an inexpensive re-use is the path chosen. That was the only point I wanted to make.

Sorry for any confusion. My post was directed at @Countrymanfowl. His shed was the plastic one likely a Rubbermaid brand.

Sorry for any confusion. My post was directed at @Countrymanfowl. His shed was the plastic one likely a Rubbermaid brand.

No confusion I knew to whom you were speaking.

The pictures I posted is/was a plastic pre-fab, do not know who made it. The roof is new made from wood and tin with vertical wooden posts inside to support the trusses. Same thing could be done with an exterior frame.

No confusion I knew to whom you were speaking.

The pictures I posted is/was a plastic pre-fab, do not know who made it. The roof is new made from wood and tin with vertical wooden posts inside to support the trusses. Same thing could be done with an exterior frame.

Had I not sold that house and left the Rubbermaid shed, I would have put a sturdy wooden roof over it. My current property had an existing shed that is very well built to withstand heavy snow and Nor'easters.

Had I not sold that house and left the Rubbermaid shed, I would have put a sturdy wooden roof over it. My current property had an existing shed that is very well built to withstand heavy snow and Nor'easters.

Retro fitting anything can turn out well, however nothing beats a good hand built to purpose wooden shed. Plastic and wicked winters do not mix well and over the years will fade, crack, break (hinges etc). BUT @Countrymanfowl already owns two(?) of his and "inexpensive" was his stated goal.

Last edited:
Hmmm...just tossing out some ideas that may be too crazy to work but then again....

I'd remove the inside tarps. Plastic is easy to clean. Then for cold weather I'd buy a bunch of straw bales and pile them up against the outside of the coop. This will create an insulating wind break, act as support against winds, and come spring you have garden mulch. Fresh bales each year might be needed, not sure.
The roof. Hmmm. Strap it down with ratchet type straps? Maybe attach plywood covering it and long enough to create a protective overhang? Cut holes at the very top of the walls and cover thouroughly with hardware cloth for ventilation? Replace the whole thing with a wood one that includes ventilation and protective overhang?
Good luck!

On to another point of discussion for you...did you say 50 chickens? Is this coop 200sqft or basically 10X20?
50 birds will need that for the 4sqft/bird minimum indoors area not including nesting area. Nests can be hung on the wall about 18 inches above the floor to maximize floor space.
And your run (even if you free range them you might need to use a run for emergencies) needs to be 10sqft/bird so 500sqft for your 50, basically 10X50.
These dimensions are the minimums. Crowding will cause fighting, injuries, death, and often cannibalism.
Maybe hire some boy scouts looking to earn their Eagle badge to help build. There are loads of excellent information on here about the best ways to set up a good coop. Pallets can be used for the framing and they are often free.
Good luck!

OP said "I currently have a plastic DIY shed that is 10' by 12'." in post 1.

Later in post 7+ he says two sheds, probably the same size?
Nice catch! Together that could work really well! Maybe side by side, lift the facing roof panels to form one roof, and fill in the space by covering with hardware cloth for ventilation of both coops.
I'm betting everyone has more good ideas for this.

Back
Top Bottom