Chicken Coop / Sheds For Canadian Winter

In one of my threads recently, someone said 8 I believe as well. Will have to track it down.

So what if you don't have an actual run but the coop is inside a fenced area? Is a run recommend for other reasons?
Just sayin', 8sqft X 50birds = 400sqft is one big mamajama coop! But it would be lovely for the chickens. Remember, 4sqft/bird is only the very minimum, and that works out to 200sqft. More is aways better. You never know when you might be forced to keep your birds inside for a day or two...or three...or....

It sounds like you're saying you'd like to free range your chickens within the confines if your yard which is great if you can. If its 4ft tall they will probably fly over and visit neighbors. Neighbors of all sorts will probably jump/fly over for a visit and a meal. Having a covered run allows you to let your birds outside without you being present to watch for predators. Handy when you get the flu or need to be out of town overnight.
You mentioned that predators don't come near the house. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. They are visiting at night. And with chickens I guarantee they will visit. Plus "friendly" predators will be around even in daytime. The neighbors dog, even the cat, they all love chicken.

Just sayin', 8sqft X 50birds = 400sqft is one big mamajama coop! But it would be lovely for the chickens. Remember, 4sqft/bird is only the very minimum, and that works out to 200sqft. More is aways better. You never know when you might be forced to keep your birds inside for a day or two...or three...or....

It sounds like you're saying you'd like to free range your chickens within the confines if your yard which is great if you can. If its 4ft tall they will probably fly over and visit neighbors. Neighbors of all sorts will probably jump/fly over for a visit and a meal. Having a covered run allows you to let your birds outside without you being present to watch for predators. Handy when you get the flu or need to be out of town overnight.
You mentioned that predators don't come near the house. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean they aren't there. They are visiting at night. And with chickens I guarantee they will visit. Plus "friendly" predators will be around even in daytime. The neighbors dog, even the cat, they all love chicken.

Yes they would be free ranging inside the yard yes. The fences are taller than me so the birds would have a hard time flying over it. Never had problems with them doing so.

So I would need to cover the bottom with chicken wire or hardware cloth and create an apron on the other side. Then put up a net somehow over the fences. Hmmmm

We are getting mixed again.

The "modification" that was raised and discussed was the "porch" that would make it "like a woods". That scenario did not discuss the roof of the pre-fab, it was joined but not covered. So, back to life span - must clear the snow off it or life is shortened.

lol what would I do without you Ted.

So the modification idea still would act like a Woods?

I would say it would... if the ventilation on the extension were only on the front.

Agrees.
Just leaving the doors off the plastic shed could form an air cushion.
IF there are no other opening/vents in shed.

Then there would be no point in building a modification. As the whole point would be to gain the benefits of a Woods coop.

I disagree.

@Wee Farmer Sarah never mentioned an extension so in that case no "air cushion" (Even by just leaving the doors off). A true Woods has two areas: a square and what's left; the square is the back 10' by 10' w/high roof, the what's left is the 6' by 10' in the front w/low roof; both required in a true Woods.

Of course it is possible to make the new roof and pole shed longer than the 10' by 12' pre-fab and then build the "porch" under the extension there by moving down the line towards a real Woods.

Back
Top Bottom