Chicken Diarrhea, and what to do

Yeah, I read that Panacur should be repeated at three weeks and three months so I called my vet today and he told me that it was unnecessary to repeat the wormer. I thought that seemed odd but he's the only vet locally that sees chickens so I'm kinda at his mercy...So what avenues do I have available then?
My vet told me to repeat in ten days after using Panacur or Safeguard (fenbendazole 10%).

-Kathy

Dawg53 says to repeat Safeguard liquid goat wormer in 10 days, and that is fendbendazole, same as panacur. You can buy that at any feedstore. In the meantime try some probiotics.

So I'm a full 11 days overdue. Should I then just begin as if I have never treated in the first place? Is the Safeguard the same withdrawal period as Panacur?

Panacur and Safeguard have the same active ingredient, both are 10% fenbendazole, so withdrawal times are the same. Treating them again is probably what I would do. I give mine all of mine .5ml per 2.2 pounds which is 50mg/kg, that's what my vet recommended.

-Kathy

Last edited:
When my vet gave me Panacur, I had to dose them three days straight. With the Safeguard (which I just bought from TSC), do I just give 1 day, then ten days later for 1 day?

If your vet had you do it three days in a row, that's what you should do again. There Is a study that shows three days in a row as being very effective in treating most worms. It's something I have considered, but I have so many I can't figure out how I could do it like that.

-kathy

I have now 28 birds at is certainly no easy task! We close the coop making sure nobody is hiding in there. Then we catch and dose one at a time and put them in the coop til they're all done... So treat for three days, then after 10 days treat three more days again? That's a lot of meds... does this seem right? I just want to make sure I treat them properly and don't overdose...

When my vet gave me Panacur, I had to dose them three days straight. With the Safeguard (which I just bought from TSC), do I just give 1 day, then ten days later for 1 day?
When your vet treated your chickens, was he treating for a special type of worm, such as tapeworm or gapeworm (which affects the airway?) Regular worming should only be one day, then repeat in 10 days. Treating for tapes or gapeworm takes 3-4 days. Safegauard and Panacur are both fenbendazole, the same drug. I personally wouldn't bother worming them again this soon after only 3 weeks. When your chickens are better, you can take in a collective sample for testing if you want.

Back
Top Bottom