Chicken dinners

Rebeccahorse

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 10, 2007
What do your chickens eat besides the crumbles or other chicken feed. Mine love cucumbers, and other veggies. I even put a weed in and they ate it. They will be three months on August 2
big_smile.png

Last edited:
mine eat watermelon, grapes, cooked cabbage, granny smith apples, biscuits, the but end of the bread.
the funniest is to throw grapes out and see the chickens run for them!

you didn't say how old yours are. mine are over 5 months old now
big_smile.png

I give them the wrinkly blueberries from the bottom of the box. They love them! However, it turns their poop blue. :eek:

Also, a mash made of oats and yogurt. Mine are just six weeks and get to free range, under strict supervision, for an hour or two a day.

I have seen "chicken riots" over strawberries and boiled chopped egg, grapes, and bread.

Does anyone feed them wild bird seed?
I have never tried scratch yet and figured seed would be same.

They'll eat almost anything.
Mine, especially Obelisk, will have whatever I'm having.
When I first got Penny, she wasn't a big treat eater. She wouldn't even eat a McD's fry!
Now, if I sit down with food, I have to make sure that she's not gotten onto the chair first. LOL
ETA:
I give a suet cake during the winter and cracked corn.
Slifer used to peck open the bags of wildbird seed and go to town.

Last edited:
We save the large zucchini from the garden and then cut lengthwise. Once we set them down you can figure they will disappear quickly. The watermellon rind is also a favorite, leaving only a thin outside skin when they are done.

bigzio

Mine get leftover corn cobs, both from dinner or from freezing creamed corn. They pick those things clean! They also like fruit peelings, leftover pasta (fu to watch them slurp noodles) and rice, and any kind of stale bread goody. Mine also get the remainder of pancake batter, fried into chick-cakes. Mine get the center of zuchini that's gotten too big.

I've also given them the flowering tops of carrot plants, and anything I pull out of my garden beds goes in the chicken tractor to see if the girls want to peck at it.

I threw a June bug in there the other day and they fought over it! Too funny. Going to collect some more to watch the chasing again.

Mine free range around an hour each evening under strict supervision. Have seen them catch and eat a big wasp...

Back
Top Bottom