Chicken Dirrehea - Lethargy Issues

nakdash

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2018
Chicken not feeling well, here are the specifics:

- 2.5 Year old Bantham/RHR Mix
- Been seen by 2 different vets
- Has been underweight for the past couple weeks - first vet visit.
- Vet recommended more protein and calcium
- Was initially eating her own eggs
- Hasn't laid in several weeks.
- Is 2.2 lbs
- Runny dirrehea for several weeks
- Has an appetite and drinks water
- Likes to sit around and not active like her sister.
- Adopted them 2 weeks ago
- Coop is 4 x 4, ventilated - run is 10 x 6. They get full range of the backyard when I am home several hours a day.
- In Denver, Colorado

On Tuesday, she was very lethargic and weak. It was 5 degrees outside so I brought them in the garage where it was warmer. She had bloody diarrhea. Was a little wobbly.

Took her to urgent care 2 hours later, they suspect Marek's. Got fecal exam, fluids and antibiotics and painkillers. Went home that night.

Wednesday, she felt better - been feeding her live meal worms, a little bit of corn and seeds. Drinks water with Tylan powder and every 12 hours, Metacam. Was standing up most of the day.

Today, she prefers to sit. Some runny diarrhea, no blood though and a hard poop. Appetite the same and is drinking water.

No cocci or worms.

Attachments

• aIMG_4333.JPG
    aIMG_4333.JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 8
  • aIMG_4360.JPG
    aIMG_4360.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 5
Got fecal exam, fluids and antibiotics and painkillers. Went home that night.....been feeding her live meal worms, a little bit of corn and seeds.

What do you normally feed her?

No Coccidiosis or Worms? The bloody poop is concerning - can you have them perform a gram stain on the poop?
Since she is not improving, you may want to let your vets know she is still under the weather.

Is her crop emptying completely by morning?
When the vets examine her, were there any xrays to rule out fluid, masses or obstructions in the body. She hasn't laid an egg in a couple of weeks - how often does she normally lay? Feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid.

I would try to get her to eat some of her normal feed or chick starter, you can try wetting it to make a mash. Sometimes egg is also enticing. Add a good poultry vitamin a couple of times a week to her regiment as well.

What do you normally feed her?

No Coccidiosis or Worms? The bloody poop is concerning - can you have them perform a gram stain on the poop?
Since she is not improving, you may want to let your vets know she is still under the weather.

Is her crop emptying completely by morning?
When the vets examine her, were there any xrays to rule out fluid, masses or obstructions in the body. She hasn't laid an egg in a couple of weeks - how often does she normally lay? Feel her abdomen for any bloat/swelling or feeling of fluid.

I would try to get her to eat some of her normal feed or chick starter, you can try wetting it to make a mash. Sometimes egg is also enticing. Add a good poultry vitamin a couple of times a week to her regiment as well.

Her previous mom was feeding her feed, oyster shell, and the occasional treats (yogurt and worms). They haven't really been into their feed, i haven't seen them eat much of it. Vet said to get her fattened up, so i have been feeding quinoa, dried meal worms mostly along with the feed.

Vet checked the crop and it was empty - no xrays, they wanted to start here first. They also felt the abdomen and no bloated or swelling. She's got mucky butt too.

She was laying previously every other day (winter time) and stopped weeks ago. She was eating her own eggs. I've never seen her lay before. Since I've gotten her, she has always been slower and less active than her sister. Her poops are improving, I think....

I want to make sure she's eating more so I've been giving her 20-30 live worms a day along with some treat mix (corn, seeds and oats).. I will add her feed tonight and also try to make a mash. I will also do scrambled egg with oregano.

Lethargy and diarrhea with blood or mucus can be a sign of coccidiosis. It can be common when moving to a new soil, but most common in young chickens. Corid (which you can buy in feed stores,) and sulfa drugs by prescription are common drugs for treatment. Vets who see a chicken would normally check for coccidosis and worms. Give her a teaspoonful of plain yogurt daily for probiotics while on antigiotics.

Lethargy and diarrhea with blood or mucus can be a sign of coccidiosis. It can be common when moving to a new soil, but most common in young chickens. Corid (which you can buy in feed stores,) and sulfa drugs by prescription are common drugs for treatment. Vets who see a chicken would normally check for coccidosis and worms. Give her a teaspoonful of plain yogurt daily for probiotics while on antigiotics.

The fecal results came back negative for coccidis. I will get her some plain yogurt. I have also heard that Tylan can cause temporary diarrhea

SO the fecal exam came back - no sign of worms, parasites or issues in the gut.

She ate well yesterday and doesn't like to walk much - prefers to stay in one place.

This morning, did not want to eat much and looked very sleepy.

What could be wrong with her!? I may have to take her to an ag hospital since no one can figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom