chicken eating the eggs

They need more calcium like oyster shells. They will stop when they start eatin oyster shells. Also try putting a "fake" egg in there nests.. like a golf ball.

Eating eggs is BAD. If chickens discover that there is food inside their eggs, they will eat them without fail. The ones who are into the habit will teach others. I've heard that some people have had to cull their entire flock b/c of it.

Our solution is to collect the eggs several times a day, + put in plastic Easter eggs. They're cheaper and, in my opinion, more safe than golf balls.

Another fix I've heard of is to rub the eggs with hot sauce or something. We've never tried this, so I don't know.
idunno.gif

yeah discovering you have egg eaters realy sucks, some have had minimal luck breaking them of that nasty habit most never do. I have had a few egg eaters and always just got rid of them. I don't have the time nor the inclanation to jack with inferiority in my flock. I wish you luck but if I were you I would cull them and move on, and not give it a second thought. IMO !!! I wish you luck whatever you decide. Besides we humans are the ones who are supposed to be eating the egg's right !! LOL.

Last edited:
It's REALLY hard to break them of eating eggs. And once they get a taste of the yummy goodness inside them it's a BAD thing. I know some who were never able to stop them from eating the eggs and actually had to get rid of the hens before she taught the others to do the same which they will. I would add hard golf balls like suggested and see but not so sure that will do the trick. Never heard of the oyster shell thing at all. Good luck! Your gonna need it. Let us know if anything works because inquiring minds want to know
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom