Chicken feed protein boost?

Maybe the OP wants to get away from synthetic amino acids made from petrochemicals, or from stabilisers and other additives?

Zbraswell92, I too wouldn't use blood meal, as it's not very well tolerated by chickens. I seem to remember reading it isn't very palatable (tasty) either.

Finding a home protein source is a big issue for me too. Soy meal helps but you also need more methoinine so it's still crucial to find animal protein (milk if soured can be a good additive, but isn't great in huge quantities for layers, as it upsets shell production). I find it great for chicks though.

Seems to me the choices are meat meal, fish meal (a combination of the two is probably better), fresh mince, mealworms, worms, bug larvae etc. I feed a basis of sprouted grains with soy meal (currently non GMO in Australia, otherwise I wouldn't), peas, alfalfa and either meat or soured milk, depending on what I've got. Table scraps are great if not too high in salt but high in protein.

cheers, and good luck,
Erica

Hello! We are trying to up the protein on our homemade Layer ration too, and also find enough protein to make a broiler ration. We used Adzuki beans last year, but our source decided not to grow them anymore. :( We recently discovered a source of Garbanzo beans or Chick Peas, which are listed in the safe/low lectin content in THIS article. They are only 22 percent protein though, so with trying to get the higher corn content (per Joel Salatin) it is hard to get up to even 19 % protein. We use fishmeal, but it is too expensive to add much more to the mix. The other ingredients are wheat and Black Sunflower seeds, along with a Nutribalancer supplement and some Kelp. We are trying to find a good high protein source while staying Soy-Free, and also keeping the price reasonable! I know, a tall order! ;-)

I recently heard about Linseed pellets, and looked them up and found Linseed/Flax Meal and read it was 34% protein, and THIS site and THIS one said you could give 10-20% of the total feed! But later I found some sites that said it wasn't good for chickens in higher than 5% of the feed. What is the truth? I REALLY would like to be able to use the Flax/Linseed meal if possible, as it really helps the protein calculations, and it is a decent price too. But I was thinking of including almost 10% in my feeds to do that.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions!

~Charity

Consider Calf Manna with about 25% crude protein. I use it at about 5% of total diet since value is more than in respect protein content. Do not use too much, too much protein from any source as health isuues can arise from that as well.

Something I can do is use chopped silver and bighead carps (both collectively referred to as Asian carp). My grandfather and those before him used rough fish from the Ohio river as a cheap albeit seasonal protein source.

Thanks, but I looked up Calf manna and the first ingredient is Soybean meal. We are trying to avoid soy totally.
By avoiding soy in poultry feed your feed is going to be very pricey.
Not knowing where your located your best bet may be to just see if a local feed mill would order you some 18 or 20% all grain pigeon feed. If you still fell that you need to mix your own feed look into some of the feed ingredients I listed below just keep in mind when you mix your own feed from scratch you will also have to add vitamin/mineral to the mix.
Linseed meal solvent it's 39% protein
Meat meal 55% protein
Peanut meal solvent 52% protein
Rapemeal solvent 41% protein
Safflower meal dehulled solubles 48% protein
Sunflower meal solvent 50% protein

Chris

@Chris09 - Thanks for responding, but you must not have read my first post (#12 above). We DO add Fertrell's Poultry Nutri-Balancer to all our feed, along with Thorvin kelp, and Organic Fishmeal. I realize it will be harder to get the high protein without soy, but it is worth it for the health benefits and because we have a market of friends and others who want the soy free eggs and broilers.
I recently heard about linseed meal, but questioned its safety for the chickens in more than 5% of the feed. We do use BOSS in our feed, I do not know where to find a good source of the other meals that you mentioned. We are in Mid-East Michigan.

~Charity

Hello! We are trying to up the protein on our homemade Layer ration too, and also find enough protein to make a broiler ration. We used Adzuki beans last year, but our source decided not to grow them anymore. :( We recently discovered a source of Garbanzo beans or Chick Peas, which are listed in the safe/low lectin content in THIS article. They are only 22 percent protein though, so with trying to get the higher corn content (per Joel Salatin) it is hard to get up to even 19 % protein. We use fishmeal, but it is too expensive to add much more to the mix. The other ingredients are wheat and Black Sunflower seeds, along with a Nutribalancer supplement and some Kelp. We are trying to find a good high protein source while staying Soy-Free, and also keeping the price reasonable! I know, a tall order! ;-)

I recently heard about Linseed pellets, and looked them up and found Linseed/Flax Meal and read it was 34% protein, and THIS site and THIS one said you could give 10-20% of the total feed! But later I found some sites that said it wasn't good for chickens in higher than 5% of the feed. What is the truth? I REALLY would like to be able to use the Flax/Linseed meal if possible, as it really helps the protein calculations, and it is a decent price too. But I was thinking of including almost 10% in my feeds to do that.

I would greatly appreciate any advice or suggestions!

~Charity

Flaxseed meal goes rancid VERY quickly so you would want to use that up quickly. That's why you see the flaxseed oil in the refrigerator at the health food stores.

Have you looked into peas? You cannot rely on them wholly as they are low in methionine (sunflower seeds are higher in it):
A Guide to Feeding Field Peas to Livestock
Livestock | Poultry | University of Manitoba Research on Feeding Peas to Poultry | Manitoba Agriculture, Food and Rural Initiatives | Province of Manitoba

http://www.sunflowernsa.com/wholeseed/sunflower-as-a-feed/

Last edited:
I heard that you can feed hard boiled eggs to the chickens for added protein. If you feed chick starter wouldn't that be too much for layers to handle? I also heard that you could feed ground lean hamburger as well. Any comments more than welcome with much needed info.

Triplell

Unmedicated chick starter is ok to use to increase the protein content of a homemixed feed - the reason the teenage chickens need less protein than chicks is to prevent the reproductive system from developing too quickly leading to prolapses and things of that sort from what I have read on BYC.

Laying hens can tolerate more than 16% protein but don't really need it from a commercial standpoint, apparently. Some of the breeders here on BYC have posted that they give 20% protein and like that. Also during molting it is nice to give them a protein boost sometimes, but can be done with scrambled eggs and the like...I don't think most people change the feed for that.

So, in essence, yes, I would avoid the 20% protein for teenagers but it is a good thing to use to increase from 11% which is what the OP was inquiring about. Thanks for your inquiry.

Also- if you do give TOO much protein it can result in gout, although I have read somewhere on internet that it might not be directly as a result of the higher protein, but that when the condition exists, the higher protein causes problems. Sorry I just don't know about that one.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom