Chicken got wedged in corned of coop - injured leg

Iamgrateful

Chirping
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
I am a fairly new chicken owner - this morning we found our White Leghorn wedged upside down in the corner of the coop (she was stuck between the A-frame stud and the wall). I pulled her out very carefully and she seems fine except for her leg. She is hopping on one leg and not standing on the other. Not sure if it just hurts from being jammed up. I looked at the leg and it looks ok and seems to bend ok. I'm not sure how long exactly she was stuck - could have been a couple of hours up to 24 hrs. Is there anything I should do to help her leg or just let her be? I'm worried!

That happened to me not to long ago. Bring her in the house, put her somewhere warm and watch her. Mine was ok in a few hours. Make sure she has access to food and water. Good luck!

Thank you very much for responding :) She is doing a bit better this morning and even put some weight on the leg.

Poor girl! Hope she gets better!
welcome-byc.gif
It's kind of weird with chickens, somtimes they can be really tough and get through the worst injuries and other times they can be more delicate than glass.

I have 2 silkies that did the same thing, but with their heads. They got their heads stuck in a crevice. I think they were stuck for several hours before I found them. One was stuck in the ivy under a fence. She's lucky we noticed her missing. She could have been out there all night. I didn't usually count them in the coop at night, but now I do. I thought their necks would be damaged, but both were just fine. Dopey silkies.

If you see an improvement already, I'm sure she'll be fine. It could just be sprained in her attempt to free herself and it just needs time to heal.

Back
Top Bottom