Chicken has been breathing weird for a month now..

Nine Chickens

In the Brooder
May 23, 2017
Around April 4th one of my hens started having trouble breathing, out of all 9 of the hens she was the only one with issues. I separated her immediately when I noticed this but that was a month ago. She hasn’t produced any eggs either within the month and hasn’t had any progress with breathing. She is eating and drinking just fine, I go out and give her some treats that the other hens get so she doesn’t feel abandoned. Her eyes seem clear and there is no discharge anywhere. I am worried that she might be lonely out there by herself and I would like to put her back with the others. Do chickens get allergies in the spring? Would it be a good idea to put her back? I don’t know what to do and I don’t wanna drop money at the vet.

When I get a sick bird it is almost always limited to the individual. By the time you notice a sick bird whatever it has is already everywhere, so I never separate out a bird unless it has injuries that would cause it to be bullied or pecked.

Respiratory problems either improve or they don't. Keep a clean dry coop with good ventilation. Chickens have a delicate respiratory tract.

What symptoms are you seeing?

Hi and welcome to BYC. I see that you are in good hands with OGM, so I will just wish you the best of luck.

Thank you for the quick reply :)
The only thing wrong I am noticing is that she is breathing weirdly and ever since she started (a month ago) she hasn’t produced any eggs either. If it would be more helpful I can post a video tomorrow.

A video would be great , so we can experience what you do. Otherwise we don't know what kind of weird breathing. Does she cough ? Have her mouth open (gaping).

She does have some sort of respiratory problem there. @Wyorp Rock seems to know more about treating stuff than I do. Hopefully they will come by and give you a good suggestion.

She does have some sort of respiratory problem there. @Wyorp Rock seems to know more about treating stuff than I do. Hopefully they will come by and give you a good suggestion.
I do not believe it is a respiratory infection, she only shows one of those signs and none of the other chickens have it. It's also been a month and she hasn't died yet. But then again, I'm not a chicken expert so I am not positive.

Back
Top Bottom