Chicken has sour crop. Crop feels like a bean bag?

jomary2013

Songster
8 Years
Jun 12, 2015
so my chicken has not been acting the same since Monday. Sits most of the day not eating drinks some water. Symptoms sound like sour crop. Her crop doesn’t empty in the morning. Yesterday I started massaging her crop and while I was doing that it felt like a bean bag or filled with beads. Is this normal?

If she is eating pellets or crumbles that can feel like a bean bag. Usually a sour crop will feel puffy and soft, with a sour or bad odor from the beak. Yours sounds more like an impacted crop, but those may turn sour in time. You can try offering some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck 1-2 tsp twice a day. Massage the crop in a downward motion several times a day to break up an impaction. Then encourage water. What do you feed? Do you have granite poultry grit out for them? Is she taking too much grit or oyster shell? Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

If she is eating pellets or crumbles that can feel like a bean bag. Usually a sour crop will feel puffy and soft, with a sour or bad odor from the beak. Yours sounds more like an impacted crop, but those may turn sour in time. You can try offering some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces to peck 1-2 tsp twice a day. Massage the crop in a downward motion several times a day to break up an impaction. Then encourage water. What do you feed? Do you have granite poultry grit out for them? Is she taking too much grit or oyster shell? Here is a good article about crop problems:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
I think it might be both? Today I’ve been massaging her crop and at times I get an odor coming from her beak but only when I massage it. Yes I do but she hasn’t been eating it. She just drinks water at times, some blueberries we have outside and bugs too. Thanks I’m hoping it works and she gets better

Back
Top Bottom