Chicken head got stuck!

Guisso14

In the Brooder
Sep 23, 2018
I was moving my coop to give the chicks some fresh grass to scratch at and while I do this it is hard to see where they are. When I put down one of the ends a chicken was packing under a support beam and was pinned under it for a 10 to 15 seconds. Once I realized I immediately got it free and it walked away after sitting there for a few minutes. Besides being a bit muddy it seems the only injury is to its eye which looks a bit swollen. She won't let me get close enough to pick her up and I dont fit in the run.

Do you think it will be ok after a few days of rest? (She was still able to shake her neck and open and close her jaw without problems)

I'll attach some pictures

Attachments

• 20190423_164551.jpg
    20190423_164551.jpg
    613.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 20190423_164702.jpg
    20190423_164702.jpg
    509.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 20190423_164541.jpg
    20190423_164541.jpg
    656.3 KB · Views: 22
This happened to me, but luckily I got it out in 2 seconds, so it was fine. My chick just ran from the place it was stuck.

Is it fine? I think you should let your hen rest, and separate it, although I am no expert. I think it should be fine, but how old is it? If it's too young, I think you should give some chicken ER to it. If it's moderately young/mature, then it should be fine. If it is old... I don't exactly know. Again, I am no expert, so yeah, don't listen to me.

Maybe multiply two seconds of being fine to your ten seconds, and come up with a calculation. LOL.

I would definitely try my best to get a better look at her. How do you normally get them to come to you to pick them up? Is she just spooked? Maybe wait until she's calmer. If she has a scratched eye or something, you'll want to know. They make ointment that you can put on to help prevent infection.

Oh no, poor thing. She looks okay except for the swollen eye. Is her comb recovering from a bit of frostbite on the tips? I would just make sure that she is eating and drinking. Hopefully, she will be fine. Chicken can get into a lot of predicaments.

I would definitely try my best to get a better look at her. How do you normally get them to come to you to pick them up? Is she just spooked? Maybe wait until she's calmer. If she has a scratched eye or something, you'll want to know. They make ointment that you can put on to help prevent infection.
Normally they run right to me. I think she might be spooked or is just avoiding me because she is sore.
Oh no, poor thing. She looks okay except for the swollen eye. Is her comb recovering from a bit of frostbite on the tips? I would just make sure that she is eating and drinking. Hopefully, she will be fine. Chicken can get into a lot of predicaments.
No frost bit, just some mud and dirt from digging in the mud. It's just her eye swollen a bit closed I think and maybe a little scrap on the side of her face. But I watched her open her jaws fine and she's moving around normal. I'll just keep checking her I guess.
This happened to me, but luckily I got it out in 2 seconds, so it was fine. My chick just ran from the place it was stuck.

Is it fine? I think you should let your hen rest, and separate it, although I am no expert. I think it should be fine, but how old is it? If it's too young, I think you should give some chicken ER to it. If it's moderately young/mature, then it should be fine. If it is old... I don't exactly know. Again, I am no expert, so yeah, don't listen to me.

Maybe multiply two seconds of being fine to your ten seconds, and come up with a calculation. LOL.
It's a heavy coop but the ground is super soft at it's been raining all week. I think it might just be a banged up eye and spooked. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Update:

Went out with some slices of bread. She was the first to grab a slice. Picked her up and she has a little scrap on what I think is considered her earlobe and her eye is just a bit swollen but nothing is in it... I think she will be fine!

Update:

Went out with some slices of bread. She was the first to grab a slice. Picked her up and she has a little scrap on what I think is considered her earlobe and her eye is just a bit swollen but nothing is in it... I think she will be fine!

If you want to you can put some vaseline on the cuts after you wash them out. It may help prevent poo from getting in there. Or just wait and see! I'm glad she's ok!

I'm glad to hear that it isn't serious, but I agree with putting Vaseline on the cuts to protect them.

Last Update:

Checked on her this morning, eye was open fine and was back to usual business. Besides being a bit dirtier that the others she seems normal!

Back
Top Bottom