Chicken in

HOLWACHAGOT

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
Hello....new here and following the opening e-mail instructions to introduce myself.....for what it's worth...After debating a backyard flock for several years I fell on an opportunity to get four birds and a coup for free so I jumped on it....Two weeks, 35 eggs later, despite horridly frigid temps for us, I absolutely adore my birds! Even the one that I renamed from "Coco"....to Tempura Lorax. I'll save those stories for another thread....to be written after I have conned some poor soul into adopting this sweet little bird. Pretty sure The Lorax lacks proper plumbing for egg laying...but I am a total amateur and inexperienced so not sure yet. As for the other three hens,and I know they are indeed hens, they will have a permanent home here. "Buffy", "Big Momma", and "Lil' Red" have absolutely stolen our hearts....as well as laid eggs religiously since the first morning I opened the coup. The kids did a great job of naming the girls....respectively they are a Buff Orpington, A Barnevelder, and a red sex link I believe. I have them in a 5 x 10 kennel and attatched coup while I build a more permanent coup. My plan is to find a new home for the Lorax and adopt a few more hens.....first to get a permanent coup built and find a home for this Bantam Silkie rooster.....
Holwachagot

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Good going on the egg laying sounds like they are really settled with you as sometimes a change of home can cause egg laying to decline for a while.
Drop by the learning centre for some great articles on raising chickens. There is an article for everything chicken related! https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center
Good luck with getting them a permanent coop built, here is the coop section for some great ideas https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/2/Coop_Designs

Wishing you the best of luck with rehoming your roo I hope you find somewhere nice for him. Be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help.
Enjoy BYC :frow

Lil Red,Buffy, and Big Momma

The Tempura Lorax previously "coco"....we have a love hate relationship....

Anyone know if this is a hen or cockerel? I do not know how old it is....or even what it is....any help appreciated.

Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided to our flock. Thanks for posting the pics. You have a beautiful flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. Good luck with your flock.

Lil Red,Buffy, and Big Momma

The Tempura Lorax previously "coco"....we have a love hate relationship....

Anyone know if this is a hen or cockerel? I do not know how old it is....or even what it is....any help appreciated.

I would say it is a "he" and a silkie or silkie mix. You could post a pic on the breed/gender forum and get more targeted guesses.

Back
Top Bottom