Chicken is limping but doesn’t seem to have bumblefoot

Serphs

Chirping
Sep 1, 2017
my bantam male is limping around on one foot, but he doesn’t seem to have bumblefoot. I will post pics later tonight. When we pick him up, he curls his toes on the left, but not the right. Is it a injury from something? I’d really like know please!

my bantam male is limping around on one foot, but he doesn’t seem to have bumblefoot. I will post pics later tonight. When we pick him up, he curls his toes on the left, but not the right. Is it a injury from something? I’d really like know please!
Photos would be helpful.
For video of his actions, post that to youtube and provide us a link.

How old is he?
What do you feed?

Leg/foot conditions can be caused by many things, hopefully with photos/video and more information, we can give you some suggestions.

Can you pick him up and palpate the entire foot and leg, then test range of motion of each joint....watching for subtle reactions (chickens are very adept at hiding pain, so it can be very subtle)? Feel for heat, deformity, etc.....compare to the "good" limb. Pinpointing the actual problem area will be key.

It seems the problem was purely a strain or injury of some sort. We’ve put him outside and he doesn’t seem to be limping anymore, and is walking with both his feet. Last time I felt his foot, it seemed very warm. Thank you for the response! I will update this if he shows anymore limping/pain.

How old is he?
What do you feed?
He is about 6 months old, and we feed him nature wise layer feed. He also seems very undominant, getting picked on by our two other roosters and somethings bigger hens. As for photos, will have to post them at another moment, as I am prepared to go to a church supper.

It seems the problem was purely a strain or injury of some sort. We’ve put him outside and he doesn’t seem to be limping anymore, and is walking with both his feet. Last time I felt his foot, it seemed very warm. Thank you for the response! I will update this if he shows anymore limping/pain.

He is about 6 months old, and we feed him nature wise layer feed. He also seems very undominant, getting picked on by our two other roosters and somethings bigger hens. As for photos, will have to post them at another moment, as I am prepared to go to a church supper.
If he is getting picked on and you find he is still limping, it would be a good idea to separate him to give him a rest and make sure he is eating/drinking well. A dog kennel or crate set up inside the run or coop so he is still near the flock if possible.
How long has he been eating layer feed? I would give him extra protein (fish, meat, egg) and poultry vitamins that contain B2(Riboflavin).

Could be he sprained the leg is he's being chased all over the place, but sometimes stress can cause disease like Marek's to present. Symptoms can come and go it seems, so I would definitely keep an eye on him and note if symptoms reappear during times of stress.

Back
Top Bottom