Chicken - is this really a Sussex?

Three Musketeers

Chirping
Mar 13, 2021
Just wanted to share a little update picture of our chicken, Arlette, who survived Sour Crop. It has been a few weeks, and the picture was taken yesterday (after she had eaten). 😊

Anyhow I was wondering (after 5 years lol) is this truly a Sussex? The place we initially got her from said she was a Sussex, but I am now wondering (as she kind of looks like a Plymouth). Any input would be appreciated.

169551358_438104560585493_4999981869424098235_n.jpg

Last edited:
Sour crop? What was your method of treatment. My 2 year old light Sussex girl has sour crop and the treatment I’m using is slowly working but I wanted to know what you used. :)
Sorry to hear, I hope she will recover in no time :). Thank you a lot for your input regarding the breed by the way!
  • So I made a solution of 10mg/ml of Clotrimazole diluted in water. The Clotrimazole was administered over the course of approx. 7 days (PO - by mouth). The first five days this was given twice a day (20 mg in total) and the last two days approx. 10-12 mg a day. The Clotrimazole brand utilized was the ''CANESTEN GYNO 1'' capsules (containing 500 mg of Clotrimazole in total).
If you want more info I made a post about this a little bit ago that might help you out perhaps: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/how-to-treat-sour-crop-seemingly-effective-updated.1451264/

Best of wishes for her recovery! 😊

Last edited:
Her legs look pink to me... I would be more inclined to say Cuckoo Marans
Thanks for your input! I think the picture kind of make her legs look more pink, but they are light yellow in real life. I looked up Cuckoo Marans and they are so cute, they look really similar as well (I find it difficult to differentiate the Cuckoo and the Plymouth except for the eggs) :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom