Chicken Jail - Day 1 of 3

tflowers

In the Brooder
May 19, 2016
Oakland, California
My 6month old pullet has gone broody on me. Ive read the best way to breAk her broodiness is by keeping her out of the nesting area and coop for 3 days.

Has anyone ever have to deal with a broody hen?
What did you do to get her to snap out of it?

I know i am driving her mad as much as she is driving me
1f602.png
1f602.png
1f602.png

Last edited:
In all my years of Chickens I never heard of a 6 month old broody hen....Sorry.
I think she likes the nest boxes and the eggs...Sounds more right than gone broody.
Put on gloves if needed and pull her out. Collect the eggs and keep on doing it.

What works for me is to put her in a wire cage for a few days, off of the ground so she can cool off. (I have a wire dog kennel I put up on 4x4's) I sometimes dunk her in a bucket of cool water first because bringing the body temperature down really helps.

If your pullet just lays down outside of the nest box, her belly will stay warm and she'll stay broody.

In all my years of Chickens I never heard of a 6 month old broody hen....Sorry.
I think she likes the nest boxes and the eggs...Sounds more right than gone broody.
Put on gloves if needed and pull her out. Collect the eggs and keep on doing it.

She just started laying at may 21st, maline breed. Unless of course the original owner didnt give me the correct age

What works for me is to put her in a wire cage for a few days, off of the ground so she can cool off. (I have a wire dog kennel I put up on 4x4's) I sometimes dunk her in a bucket of cool water first because bringing the body temperature down really helps.

If your pullet just lays down outside of the nest box, her belly will stay warm and she'll stay broody.

Thats exactly what i did, i have a small dog kennel with food and water supplied. Should i keep her in there over night as well?

Slip ten or so ice cubes under her while taking the eggs out.

I havent tried the ice cube in the nest. She was bullying the other girls from coming in the coop. So ive been removing her every chance i get. Quickly realizing it was a losing battle
1f60f.png

She hasnt laid an egg in two days
1f629.png

Last edited:
Thats exactly what i did, i have a small dog kennel with food and water supplied. Should i keep her in there over night as well?
Yes, if it is in a safe place. Or you can put her in the coop on the roosts just after dark, then back in the cage really early before she gets back into the nest box. Always takes mine at least 2 full days.

Back
Top Bottom