Chicken Jerky

frugal

Songster
11 Years
Aug 9, 2008
NEK, Vermont
Chicken Jerky

chicken_jerky.jpg

This is a outstanding marinade for making Chicken or Turkey Jerky. I let my chicken marinate in it for around 6 hours to get the full marinade flavor while still enjoying the flavor of the chicken. Then I dried it for approximately 12 hours at 165° F.

½ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
½ teaspoon pepper
½ teaspoon granulated garlic
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons Salish (Alder Smoked Salt)
½ cup Maple Syrup

Poultry Cooking Whether you are cooking, smoking or jerking poultry the internal temperature must go to at least 165° F. Some dehydrators will not heat into the safe range. Many people do it at lower temps without any problems however it is not recommended.

smile.png

---john

Last edited:
John, are you using strips of meat or ground? If strips are they cut with the grain or against?

It looks delicious. We make a similar marinade for beef jerky or venison jerky - no maple syrup though.
smile.png

I'm thinking your recipe would be great done with turkey as well. Thanks for sharing.

edit: typo

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi Kim:

I used strips of meat cut with the grain. Sometimes I cut with the grain, sometimes I cut against the grain, I don't really have a set method.

I've assumed that cutting with the grain allows the jerky to last longer without deteriorating so that's the method I use the most. I've also read that cutting against the grain is easier on the teeth. My teeth are aging as fast as I am so sometime in the near future I'm going to cut both with and against the grain using the same piece of meat and see which I like the best.

---john

PS: I've eaten far too much jerky in the last couple of days...it's addictive and delicious!

Frugal,

That looks fantastic. It's difficult to find a chicken jerky recipe.

What is the shelf life of such a recipe. I'm curious that you are drying at
only 135. In my limited jerky experience with jerky I usually dry at 225 in
my oven or smoker. I do not use a curing agent and try to limit salt.

Thanks!
Don

P.S. I've had you maple syrup a few times now and a BYC friends house.
Best stuff I've ever tasted.

Quote:
hey Don:

I'm not sure of the shelf life of jerky. However I made some venison jerky almost 3 years ago that I vacuum packed and put away in my pantry to see how long it would last. It still looks and tastes great. I expect the vac-packing made the difference.

I used my dehydrator at 135° this time because of the amount of jerky I was making. My dehydrator has 10 trays and my oven and warming oven combined will not hold nearly that much.

Maple Syrup, I love it! The process of making it is easy and enjoyable, especially coming out from a very long winter. A harbinger of nature awakening and the bounty of food that spring and summer brings. It's part of the culture that Vermonters hold dear. Stories are still passed from generation to generation in the family sugar houses with everyone helping out whether they still live on the old homestead or not.

Thanks for the kind words.

smile.png

---john

Thanks again, John. We have 8 roos to butcher this weekend. I'm going to make your recipe with some of the meat. DH loves jerky. LOL...me too, but he's even crazier about it.

Yum....real, fresh maple syrup. That sounds terrific.

John- I'm curious about the maple syrup. I hope you don't mind, I realize that this is off topic. The past two years I've researched making syrup myself but was a little intimidated with all I've read on the internet. I have seven silver maples that I've read I can tap, although with lesser results. You stated that it's rather easy and I was wondering if you could clue me in so that I could try it?

Back
Top Bottom