Chicken keeps jumping over 6 foot fence!

OreoPlymothRock

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
Florida
Hello, i have a barred plymoth rock that keeps jumping over our fence. She used to jump over by going on the chicken coop and jumping from there, so we moved the coop away from the fence. But she still manages to get on top of a table we cannot move and flys over. Should we clip her wings? I know that if we did that, she will be more vulnerable to predators. Any Advice? Thanks.

I dont know what kind of fence she is jumping but what I did with the chain link fence and now doing with brick wall is trim tree branched ans set it the fence and it has seemed to work there is no sold place for them to jump up on. and when all the leafs are off it looks kind of cool.

Is she flying over or jumping? If you clip her wing, just do one to get her off balance. If she is jumping though it may not help. My leghorn gets over the fence with a clipped wing no problem at all.

The above post is good advice. You need to make it look like there is nowhere safe to land on the fence.

When they want out they will get out. I have tried to clip wings but still doesnt stop them. Even with both clipped. I have 2 that get out all the time. Don't go far so I'm not to worried about it. And I only have a 2 1/2ft cheap wire from Wal-Mart. They are all fine in there except 2. That's why I dont use wooden fencing. The wire fencing they cant get on top. It's either over or under. Seems to keep them in a lot better.

Back
Top Bottom