Chicken Lady to the Rescue...again *Update-she died :(

ZooMummzy

Queen of the Zoo
11 Years
Mar 31, 2008
Philomath, Oregon
My local feed store knows to call me or save "special needs" chicks for me. The last two years I have received their spraddle leg ones. Today, I got a blind one. They didn't know it was blind and neither did I till just a few hours ago. She wasn't eating or drinking and was just lying around in the tub being stepped on. She couldn't see where the food was and they have too many chicks this year to really help many of them out
sad.png

I've read every post on the site I can find about blind chicks and I'm just doing what is natural to take care of her. I'm feeding (soupy chick starter and hard boiled eggs mashed) and watering her every 30 minutes; she has had poly-vi-sol and is warm and getting lots of love. She cries all the time but will snuggle with her stuffed kitty eventually. I'm debating on getting her another chick tomorrow for company and maybe help. Still not sure on that one yet. I think I just needed a little support and venting
sad.png
I have a 4 month old pullet downstairs with an infected tail from picking. I have a 5 month old Blue Silkie with two paralyzed legs in another cage downstairs and my other "house chickens". Just feeling a bit overwhelmed tonight and saying "ok, I've had enough now", lol. I am bound and determined though to do everything I can to save this little girl though. (Miriam is her name and she is an EE with yellow legs?). First step, making it through the night. I'll figure out the rest as we go.

Last edited:
I love your heart! I think it will be tough though...how will she ever learn? I guess if you keep the food and water in the exact same space.....would you move her into an outdoor coop with other hens? I hope the best for her but i couls not imagine...God bless your soul!

Poor thing, I think there are a few threads on here with people who have grown up blind chicks all the way to adult hood and have had them in their flocks!

That sucks your blue girl can't walk. Could she have jumped up and bumped her head? She's of the fancy type if I remember right and brain injuries can happen all too easily on those vaulted skulls if she has one. Hoping for a speedy recovery!

Thank you everyone. I know it won't be easy, but I never give up until I have to and even then, I keep trying. This little one eats - not enough yet for me though - and drinks from the dropper quite well so I'm hopeful. She is more active now that I have some water in her. It is going to be a long road, if we get past tonight. She has a will to live and is getting more active, I just need to watch her because she runs into things. I will probably keep her (or him) in the house and take her outside for supervised trips like I do my other house chickens. From what I've read, as long as I keep things in the same place always, she should be ok. I will try her outside at some point, but my girls can be pretty rough on newbies
hmm.png

Silkiechicken, I don't think so. She doesn't really have a vaulted head. I think it's a vitamin deficiency. After more questions, I don't think the woman I got her from really took great care of her. Thankfully her sister, Maddy, is doing ok. The only other thing it could be is she got trampled. It started with her foot then her leg and now the other leg. She still has use of her wings and neck and eats well. She can function on her own, so I'm hopeful. I give her vitamins, yogurt and massage her legs daily. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Last edited:
So wonderful of you to give the chick a chance
yippiechickie.gif
! My 15 1/2 year old dog is nearly blind and is coping fairly well but we need to put the light on for her to see well enough to go outdoors at night. Do you think the chick is totally blind? I'm wondering if a bright light would help lead her/him to the food and water as he/she gets older. If the chick can see shadows it may help. Best of luck to you and the little one!

It's really hard to tell at the moment but I think so. I am up for the 3:30am feeding and she is still alive and screaming her head off. She is also strong enough to fight me feeding her, so I guess that is a good sign. I had a blind dog as well and as long as we didn't move things, he was just fine. I'm kind of thinking it will be the same for her once I get her strong enough to eat on her own. Right now I think she is really freaked out by her disability. I know that sounds strange but I think it scares her a bit. I've decided to try another chick with her in the morning to see how that work. If anything I'm hoping for companionship for her. She is purring and falling asleep in my hand so I think that is my cue to go back to bed.

Last edited:
My Aunts mother has had a three blind chickens hatch. I haven't spoken to her in forever and were not close but I remember her rambling on about when i was little... I distinctly remember her saying they need help until about 7-8 weeks, after that they start to feed all by themselves. Just have to watch closely to be sure. Your already assisting her quite well so her outlook is much better than at the feed store.

The hardest part about a blind chicken is not the chicken itself but the others around it.
Two of three of my Aunts chickens were pecked to death by their siblings around 14 weeks.
The other is still alive (about 3 years?) he does fine on his own but sometimes he stands around confused and dazed so my Aunt sometimes goes out and talks to him. The only reason the rooster survived is because he is a rooster. The hens were picked out fast.

It's funny for me remembering this, I hadn't thought of it until I read this thread.
When I was little I thought "HOW BARBARIC! Pecking each other to death, what terribly stupid birds!".
Now that I have them my opinion is from a totally different perspective.

Last edited:
You are wonderful..I just want to say thank you for all the love, care, time and energy you are putting into these little guys you have. You are an amazing person to give these guys a chance...good luck
hugs.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom